SBWC Fall Classic Training Log

Going to be setting some rather lofty goals given where I’m at right now,. but I do better when I hold myself accountable.

By the end of my term in late May, I would like to:

1. Pass the semester and hopefully do reasonably well

2. Deadlift 550

3. Front squat 315

4. Pause Bench 315

5. Incline bench 235

4 Likes

Ah yea didn’t see the last line there. I’ve found that my bench has always responded well to 5x5. For deadlifts I’ve been doing a lot of 5x5 lately compared to when I used to exclusively pull singles so that’s actually quite a bit of volume for me. I’ve always wanted to try the Kroc deadlift program aswell. Neverly tried low rep squats. By volume you mean up the reps or sets? Or both? What is typically considered a lot of volume?

1 Like

Volume is like some metric combining like reps x Sets x weight you just do work you know. Work builds a big wide base and then you can build on that base and make a taller pyramid/1RM

What is high volume really varies.

Depends on the lifter their level training history all kinds. You can count it in loads of ways too like no of reps above a certain percentage, average intensity, no of working sets and more. In certain phases of training this volume is pushed to get gains. Then comes a strength block to build on those gains and make gains in strength.

You just need to know yourself I guess and when to push and when you’ve pushed too far

Look up MRV and Hypertrophy/volume blocks for more

2 Likes

As far as assistance for DL, lots of people among those a lot of coaches says front squat is a mayor builder for DL.
Many says deficit DL, can’t remember wich article I saw here on TN referred to a BIG puller who always pulled a very small deficit in training and only pulled from the floor in competition.
Kroc is very basic I did it and think it worked wonders for my form.
I didn’t really test but went straight into Darkhorse.

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the info mort. I did front squats today for like the second time in my life and they felt decent. As of last workout I’ve been pulling in my flat sole shoes, which is around a 1" deficit. I plan to run krocs program this way.

Front squat
5xbar
5x95
3x115
3x135
2x155
2x185
4x2x205
2x225
2x205

Pause Bench
5xbar
5x95
5x135
5x165
5x185
5x205
5x140 (pause halfway down)

I’ll get a vid of my front squat up. Wrists felt slight uncomfortable and middle of the back felt tight on the very last rep.

3 Likes

Front squat will get more comfy with time. For now wrist wraps

1 Like

Heres the vid of the last 205 double. Curious to see what can be fixed.

- YouTube

1 Like

Looks good

1 Like

Oly shoes

1 Like

Would that help with the depth?

Yep more depth more work more gains

Interesting I’m going to look into buying a pair.

That looked easy man.
Can’t really tell if it was good or bad.
Bracing and leading with the elbows out of the hole is the cues I try to use.

1 Like

Too light to see any sort of form breakdown, looked too easy. Your depth was also very good.

1 Like

When I did the 225x2 before that I could definitely feel myself pitching forward. Maybe that’s a bar positioning or elbow positioning issue?

Whenever I hit front squats i get that feel too. I do use oly shoes for high bar and front squat. It also helps to keep telling myself during the lift to keep my elbows up.

1 Like

Yea guineapig also recommended the weightlifting shoes. Looks like I will invest in a pair.

On a side note, my lower abs and obliques are sore from the front squats. Really didn’t see that coming.

2 Likes

Yea man front squats destroy the core lol.

Wanted to start krocs deadlift program today but back was wayyy too sore to pull. Did 345 for 5 reps and just called it a day. Did some weighted planks and left the gym. I’ll start the deadlifts next week. I need to be more patient.

Be mindful of where your hips go. A lot of the time there’s a small goodmorning like movement outthe hole and thislike is your body shifting the load to your hips which kind of defeats the purpose.

So even if you move less weight and bit slower you get max benefit.

I don’t do the best job of it myself but I think we can tell shits fucked when your hips shoot up and you have hold the bar with your hands to prevent it falling

3 Likes