55 years old am I too late?

stats:
5’9’
175 lbs
38 inch waist around bellybutton
34 at hips
over the last 6 months I have lost 35 lbs by counting calories,eating clean, lifting weights 30 minutes 6 days a week and stationary bike 30 minutes 6 days a week.
If I had to guess my body-fat is around 30%. Mostly love handles and still man-boobs.
My goal is to be lean and muscular. I would like to have a waist around 32-34. I have hit a plateau and not sure which direction I should go. I have not lost any weight now for 30 days nor has my waist reduced. I have become stronger as I have been able to lift heavier and can now do 50 pushups during my daily workouts.
I consume about 2000 calories per day and work off around 400-600 per day during my workouts.
I try to keep my protein 40%, carbs 30%,fats 30%.
I work out every day because I have the time and really want to get in shape,and I enjoy it.
I think my ideal weight would be around 180 lbs.
so my question is:
Should I reduce my calories and try to get down to about 160 lbs then start bulking up, or should I start bulking up now and add muscle.

thanks

I think Arnold once said: “It’s not that you are too old to be exercising but that you are too old NOT to be exercising!”

Well done on your hard work so far!

I’d recommend getting your bodyfat measured properly instead of just estimating. Your estimate of 30% bf seems to be a very high compared to your other stats (bodyweight, height).

Your definetly not 30% body fat with those stats you posted. But I definetly dont think your to old there is a 70+ year old man who trains and competes every year at battle at the river bodybuilding show in TN and only started lifting a couple years back. If you have stalled out on your weight loss then you have a few options.

1. Manipulate your Macro% such as try 50% pro, 25% carbs, 25% fat.
  2. lower overall calories although you are already pretty low in my opinion.
  3. up your cardio intensity or duration.
  4. any combination of the above.

I would recommend posting a log in the 0-35 section, introduce yourself, and maybe solicit some advice. Also, check out some of the other active logs there to see what other people are doing and what’s working. The guys and gals in the 0-35 section are generally very welcoming and there is a stack of knowledge there for a variety of different goals.

To answer the specific question in your thread title, you are not too old to make great progress.

Just want to say great job so far and echo that it’s never too late.

thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback, and i will post on the 0ver-35 board.

dave

Never too late pal. As long as you’re breathin, it ain’t too late. Good work.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I would recommend posting a log in the 0-35 section, introduce yourself, and maybe solicit some advice. Also, check out some of the other active logs there to see what other people are doing and what’s working. The guys and gals in the 0-35 section are generally very welcoming and there is a stack of knowledge there for a variety of different goals.

To answer the specific question in your thread title, you are not too old to make great progress. [/quote]

x2 over 35s section is a great resource

OP…go to the livespill with Christian Thibaudeau and check out some pictures of Dr. Hall. He is 55 and looks totally awesome. Good looking guy, very muscular and extremely lean.

Too late to add a lot of mass, of course, not too late to get lean and live a healthy life style - and add SOME mass. It’s a bad idea for you to bulk up.

Someone who is absolutely ACES at working with people in your situation is John Berardi. He has written articles for this site, might want to take a look.

Good on ya for taking charge and making changes, and good luck.

thanks

i have posted some pictures over on the over-35 board.

dave