55 Years of Training

Hi Guys
My father has been training for 55years, he is now 72 years old and still going strong.I just though, I would share his story with you guys to see what you thoughs were.

He started weight training at home when he was 17 years old, coming from a small country called New Zealand, where it was un heard of to train with weighs in those days. He went on to win many NZ titles in weight catagores from 165 to 198 pound weight class. His best lifts to date are as follows:
Snatch 230 pounds
Press 250 pounds
clean and Jerk 330 pounds
Squat 500 pounds (RAW)
bench 290 pounds (RAW)
Deadlift 650 pounds (RAW)

Now days he still trains, he is 72 years old ,he does mainly the powerlifts, but he is doing 250 squat for 5 reps bench 180 for 5 reps deadlift 270 for 3reps.

He has train at home for 55 years and has use train axials as bars and old railwheels as weights in the past. He had a old wooden Power rack, which he train with till he was 65. When he moved house i brough him a Steel power rack so he could lift safer.

I have been training since i was 15 and now i am 32 i have competed in strongman events and powerlifting but i cant do what he did RAW he is an amazing lifter.

My best lifts are
squat 535 with gear
bench 350 with gear
deadlift 535 with gear
any way just though i would post this for my first post on the website.

Wazza
P.S Hope you enjoyed his little life story.

Bravo to your Dad! Working out, lifting, exercise, eating smart and healthy, the true fountain of youth. If Ponce De Leon only knew!

Awesome story. Any chance of posting some pictures? I’d think they’d be the best “Powerful Images” this place has ever had.

That is fucking awesome. Props to both of you.

[quote]Massif wrote:
That is fucking awesome. Props to both of you.[/quote]

i second the comment.

He has one black and white photo of himself deadlifting, but I am not sure where it is. I think it was with him Deadlifting 600 pounds, with no belt and using railway axis as bar and rail wheels as weight.

He use to say to all his kids and still does. You want to get big it is simple SQUAT and MILK.
I have 2 guys that use to train with me, using my old mans weights. They still both train and often talk about training back home in the shed.
Wazza

Congrats to your Dad, and also to you!

[quote]Wazza wrote:
He has one black and white photo of himself deadlifting, but I am not sure where it is. I think it was with him Deadlifting 600 pounds, with no belt and using railway axis as bar and rail wheels as weight.

He use to say to all his kids and still does. You want to get big it is simple SQUAT and MILK.
I have 2 guys that use to train with me, using my old mans weights. They still both train and often talk about training back home in the shed.
Wazza[/quote]

Post it! That’s awesome!

Great to hear, your dad started training the year I was born. I also agree with his philosophy. I remember starting with a piece of pipe with milk cartons filled with concrete attached. Also lifting car wheels.

Both of you keep it up.

[quote]Wazza wrote:

Wazza[/quote]

The story is amazing!!! Maybe you could post some current photos of your dad in his gym?

Keep up the good work, tell your dad we all think he’s incredible!!!

Current photos are a MUST! That’s awesome. Most people can’t do body weight squats at 72. Hell, most people don’t live to 72. I like his simple philosophy - squat and milk.

TNT

Ill see if i can find some photos of him when i see him next, but it may be awhile.
wazza

Howzit everyone

I am one of the guys who trained in that small home gym and it was best time of my life training wise. Have also trained with wazza’s dad and he is a deadset legend. I have always looked up to them both, and both have been an inspiration. I have moved from NZ and am currently living in Australia and have done for the last 11 years and am moving back home next year and the first thing i will be doing is training with wazza and catching up with his dad. It is an amazing sight seeing a man of his golden years squatting, benching and deadlifting so much.

A true Legend…

Hey laroth,
You are welcome to train with me any time. Hopefully you will be back in the NZ sooner. anyway buddy stay strong.
Wazza