T Nation

55 Year Old Needs Advice

stats:
5’9’
175 lbs
38 inch waist around bellybutton
34 at hips
over the last 6 months I have lost 35 lbs by counting calories,eating clean, lifting weights 30 minutes 6 days a week and stationary bike 30 minutes 6 days a week.
If I had to guess my body-fat is around 30%. Mostly love handles and still man-boobs.
My goal is to be lean and muscular. I would like to have a waist around 32-34. I have hit a plateau and not sure which direction I should go. I have not lost any weight now for 30 days nor has my waist reduced. I have become stronger as I have been able to lift heavier and can now do 50 pushups during my daily workouts.
I consume about 2000 calories per day and work off around 400-600 per day during my workouts.
I try to keep my protein 40%, carbs 30%,fats 30%.
I work out every day because I have the time and really want to get in shape,and I enjoy it.
I think my ideal weight would be around 180 lbs.
so my question is:
Should I reduce my calories and try to get down to about 160 lbs then start bulking up, or should I start bulking up now and add muscle.

thanks

A picture would do everyone here wonders. IF you have the time throw one up.

Another stat that would help would be the weight you can lift for thw squat, bench, and deadlift.

You could have dropped calories to quick and destroyed your metabolism. In this case you might want to add in another 500 calories and restart it.

On the other hand you could be right on track calorie wise, but you might just have to drop another 200 calories. As you drop weight your body requires less calories.

2000 calories seems low but it depends on the amount of muscle mass your holding on to.

here are some pictures.
i am currently lifting 4-5 days per week.
nothing heavy as i am not very strong.
deadlift…3x5…160
bench…3x5…140
bent over row…3x5…125
military press…3x5…100
back squat…3x5…100
lat pulldowns…3x5…90
single arm curl…3x5…40

also pushups,20-30 minutes bike or treadmill

Side

Back

I would recommend two e-books if you don’t have them already. (1) Jim Wendler’s 5-3-1 (training); and (2) John Keifer’s Carb Night Solution (diet). There’s lot’s of ways to skin a cat, but I know from personal experience that both of these books provide a great road map on one way of doing things that will work for your goals. You could probably cut all the fat you would want to cut using Carb Night Solution in about two months, and 5-3-1 is a fairly simple training method that lots of people on here use to get stronger and in better condition. After you run CNS you could adjust your diet a bit to focus more on gaining lean mass.

Also, if Rick Fischer pops in here (he keeps a log on here) listen to whatever he says, he really knows his stuff.

Train hard and be relentless.

Jack

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I would recommend two e-books if you don’t have them already. (1) Jim Wendler’s 5-3-1 (training); and (2) John Keifer’s Carb Night Solution (diet). There’s lot’s of ways to skin a cat, but I know from personal experience that both of these books provide a great road map on one way of doing things that will work for your goals. You could probably cut all the fat you would want to cut using Carb Night Solution in about two months, and 5-3-1 is a fairly simple training method that lots of people on here use to get stronger and in better condition. After you run CNS you could adjust your diet a bit to focus more on gaining lean mass.

Also, if Rick Fischer pops in here (he keeps a log on here) listen to whatever he says, he really knows his stuff.

Train hard and be relentless.

Jack[/quote]

Excellent advice from a nice guy.

I can only add that I’m your height, 53 y/o, and was a fat 165lbs in my 40’s. I was recently measured a few months ago at approx. 16% body fat at 192lbs, and I’m down to 188 today. Lost an inch in the waist so now a 34.

Follow Jacks advice and be patient, you’ll hit your goals before you know it.
Oh…and order a copy of Mark Rippletoes “Starting Strength”. It will save you some down time from injuries due to bad form on your lifts.

thank you i will check them out.