55 MPH

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/03/warner.speed.limit.ap/

The bastards. The data that showed a drop off in deaths in 1974 was because people were driving less because of the energy crisis.

Cars are a lot safer today and a lot more aerodynamic. The 55 MPH speed limit was a tax on everyones time. The speeding tickets were another tax.

If they really want to do something they should ban big vehicles like SUV’s and trucks from the passing lane on the freeway. That will get people to trade in their trucks and SUV’s for cars.

Somehow, they should put speed tattlers on cars, which feed into a computer system. Every time the car goes over 80, the driver gets $1 added to his renewal fee. Imagine how much fun it would be when you hear some guy screaming about his $500 renewal fee at the DMV! Sweet!

I also find it amazing when the people who drive at 85 or 90 out on the interstates are the first ones to bitch about the high price of gas. “Well, duh, ya might get more than 8 mpg if you drove slower, moron!”

The future of traffic will be to remove driver control and steer vehicles like data packets on the internet.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Sifu wrote:
If they really want to do something they should ban big vehicles like SUV’s and trucks from the passing lane on the freeway. That will get people to trade in their trucks and SUV’s for cars.

Yes, by all means punish those who have worked hard and can afford to drive an SUV. That along with the incredibly huge Obama tax hike, will surely show everyone that getting ahead in America today is simply not worth it.

Stinking rich people how dare they try to enjoy their hard earned dollars in a free economy…WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?
[/quote]

My car can do over 150. It cruises at 90 like it is nothing. When I had a truck anything over 70 did not feel too safe. Because they are riding so high off of the ground vans and trucks and suv’s don’t feel safe going fast.

There is nothing more infuriating when I am trying to get to work in the morning than to be stuck behind some suv in the passing lane who thinks that because he is going five over the limt he is going fast. I don’t care what you paid for you vehicle, if you aren’t moving you should get the fuck out of the way.

Another thing my car can do is stop on a dime, because I have big brakes and tires. It is nerve racking when I am doing 90 to have a truck siting on my bumper so I can’t use my brakes if I have to.

Long story short, those gas guzzling jumbo size vehicles have no place in the fast lane. They hold people up or they make it dangerous. Relegating them to the slower lanes where they belong will give people a reason to buy something more fuel efficient and make the roads much safer.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Yes, by all means punish those who have worked hard and can afford to drive an SUV. That along with the incredibly huge Obama tax hike, will surely show everyone that getting ahead in America today is simply not worth it.

Stinking rich people how dare they try to enjoy their hard earned dollars in a free economy…WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

My car can do over 150. It cruises at 90 like it is nothing. When I had a truck anything over 70 did not feel too safe. Because they are riding so high off of the ground vans and trucks and suv’s don’t feel safe going fast.

There is nothing more infuriating when I am trying to get to work in the morning than to be stuck behind some suv in the passing lane who thinks that because he is going five over the limt he is going fast. I don’t care what you paid for you vehicle, if you aren’t moving you should get the fuck out of the way.

Another thing my car can do is stop on a dime, because I have big brakes and tires. It is nerve racking when I am doing 90 to have a truck siting on my bumper so I can’t use my brakes if I have to.

Long story short, those gas guzzling jumbo size vehicles have no place in the fast lane. They hold people up or they make it dangerous. Relegating them to the slower lanes where they belong will give people a reason to buy something more fuel efficient and make the roads much safer. [/quote]

They also block visibility of of conditions ahead, particularly in congested situations.

I don’t know where Mick lives but around here such a suggestion would not target the rich, and in fact would probably favor the wealthier more than everyone else.

What of states’ rights? I fucking enjoy 70 and 75 mile an hour limits in western US.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

I also find it amazing when the people who drive at 85 or 90 out on the interstates are the first ones to bitch about the high price of gas. “Well, duh, ya might get more than 8 mpg if you drove slower, moron!”[/quote]

How do you know how fast some dude that is bitching drives?

“I DRIVE 85 MILES AN HOUR AND I’M HERE TO BITCH ABOUT GAS PRICES, LOL”

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
etaco wrote:

They also block visibility of of conditions ahead, particularly in congested situations.

So do trackor trailors, are you suggesting that we ban them?

[/quote]

Yes, from the left most lanes. I think tractor-trailors may already be prohibited from the left lanes on many freeways in many states though.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
etaco wrote:

So do trackor trailors, are you suggesting that we ban them?

Yes, from the left most lanes. I think tractor-trailors may already be prohibited from the left lanes on many freeways in many states though.[/quote]

I think the best solution is a reduced speed limit for larger vehicles. A tractor trailer on your bumper is bad news no matter what lane you’re in. I’ve seen this on a few highways, but not many.

Reguarding the fuel economy/driving slower issue, some vehicles get better mileage going 65 than 55 simply because of gear ratios, I say there should be an RPM limit, normaly cars get the best mileage at 1800 RPM’s depending on if it is a long or short stroke engine.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

I also find it amazing when the people who drive at 85 or 90 out on the interstates are the first ones to bitch about the high price of gas. “Well, duh, ya might get more than 8 mpg if you drove slower, moron!”

How do you know how fast some dude that is bitching drives?

“I DRIVE 85 MILES AN HOUR AND I’M HERE TO BITCH ABOUT GAS PRICES, LOL”[/quote]

I’m with MSD

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Sifu wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Long story short, those gas guzzling jumbo size vehicles have no place in the fast lane. They hold people up or they make it dangerous. Relegating them to the slower lanes where they belong will give people a reason to buy something more fuel efficient and make the roads much safer.

You are talking about two different issues. I could be in the “fast lane” with any vehicle if I’m driving too slowly then I’m a menace.

This is an issue regarding proper driving skills and habits. It has nothing to do with the fuel efficient vehicles. There are already laws on the books that speak to your concerns.

[/quote]

If you are in the left lane driving too slow , some one should put you out of your misery

Laws suck, don’t they? All these laws were designed to thwart all Americans from driving however they want. Everyone knows that highway engineers designed the roads so that you can drive 120 mph if you choose. This is especially true in congested urban areas. Who cares if someone else gets hurt or dies because I was speeding? Its their fault for not getting out of my way! Don’t they know I own this road???

As long as were breaking those laws, let’s break others! Know that girl who turned you down in high school? Stalk her, not a lot, just above the ‘limit’. Your employer wouldn’t give you a raise? Steal from him, not a lot, just above the ‘limit’.

Laws are phony made up things! And no I’m NOT a spoiled brat who always wants his way…

The government needs to quit worrying about how people die. The leading cause of death is life.

55 MPH is government oppression, period.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Laws suck, don’t they? All these laws were designed to thwart all Americans from driving however they want. Everyone knows that highway engineers designed the roads so that you can drive 120 mph if you choose. This is especially true in congested urban areas. Who cares if someone else gets hurt or dies because I was speeding? Its their fault for not getting out of my way! Don’t they know I own this road???

As long as were breaking those laws, let’s break others! Know that girl who turned you down in high school? Stalk her, not a lot, just above the ‘limit’. Your employer wouldn’t give you a raise? Steal from him, not a lot, just above the ‘limit’.

Laws are phony made up things! And no I’m NOT a spoiled brat who always wants his way…[/quote]

The Soviets and the Chinese used the same reasoning for their laws.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Laws are phony made up things! And no I’m NOT a spoiled brat who always wants his way…[/quote]

For people to drive 120 mph , people would have to understand the are driving on a freeway (system) and that means keep right except to pass

F