545 lb Deadlift at 18

He’s going to pull 600 within 2 months and he’s not nearly full grown. Like I said he’s only been training deadlift for a month. How many of you could say you could pull 545 after training it for a month at 18? The kid has a high ceiling, thats all I’m saying. And I guarantee he’s got 570 sitting in him right now.

But whatever, will repost when he hits a weight Liquid Mercury finds impressive. BTW, do you have a shirt on for those massive bench presses you hit in competition?

[quote]Kevin5255 wrote:
you have a bad lift today or something? I know you can DL 545 so I won’t tell you to go take a vid of yourself doing it before you talk shit, but your attitude is unwarranted. Yes, the OP could have asked for some critique- because i guess you can post yourself jerking off as long as you want a critique of your form. Sure, it was sloppy form and he ramped it and it wasnt even the OP, but it’s a good lift for a teen. I have enjoyed every post you have written on here until this thread. Give credit where it’s due and get the 2-board out of your butt. [/quote]

Again my issue with the whole damned thing is, as many other people have noted as well, that it seemed just like some clutter of something not of the level “WTF impressive”. As was stated just prior to your post, usually when people post a deadlift video and they’re NOT asking for critique and it’s NOT of themselves being proud of an accomplishment, then it’s usually because there is a “WTF impressive” factor going on. That is my issue, that this area doesn’t degrade into something useless like the bb forum has because of the continuous amount of threads being posted that have no merit what so ever. This is the equivalent of a 200 lb 18 year old posting a front double bicep and saying “hey look at my 17 inch arms and hawt abz”, posing in the mirror of a bathroom a la myspace style. Had he done a full set of poses and asked for some critique he’d of had a much better response and no one would give him shit for doing it in the bathroom.

As I’ve said multiple times now, had he simply been asking for a critique or it had been the OP hitting a 545 deadlift for the first time or something I’d have absolutely zero issue with any of this and would of commended it. As of now it just seems superfluous.

[quote]Arem wrote:
But whatever, will repost when he hits a weight Liquid Mercury finds impressive. BTW, do you have a shirt on for those massive bench presses you hit in competition?
[/quote]

I’m assuming this is a slight at my shitty bench? I know it sucks so you’re not really pushing my buttons. Why repost anything? Why not simply hit 545 for YOUR first time (or if you already have an even bigger PR) and I will gladly commend you and raise a beer in your honor just like I will whenever Dixie hits his 600, Angus hits his 500, 2scoops gets his #1 ranking in the squat, or anything else of personal merit of all the lifters here. Why not join the ranks of awesome and strive for your own video of “WTF”. Again this is absolutely nothing against your boy and his lift, simply irritated by all the garbage that’s being posted on T-Nation as of late that serves no merit or isn’t WTF impressively awesome.

Thats nothing, this guy is also 18:

[quote]BEAR BORN wrote:

[quote]buddaboy wrote:
545LB lifted by an 18 year old not on the roids is an impressive lift. Yeah, the form sucks, he needs more hamstring flexibility so he can keep his shins vertical.

This is the powerlifting forum, it’s a video of a dead lift. Why not give some constructive feed back so the guy can work on his technique?

Its not like its a video of a guy burning the American flag dressed up as Bin Laden.

Who here was that strong aged 18? [/quote]

Is it supposed to be a form critique video? It just came off as a “My bro at the gym is uber jacked”. If it is a form video hip and hamstring flexibility are paramount to getting a better pull, his upper back is probably weak as well or he just isn’t used to getting it tight or both. Snatch Grip Rack pulls are awesome for teaching upper back tightness and adding strength and size and hip and hamstring flexibility have a myriad of cures which are often subjectively effective. Stretching helps though and being an 18 year old male bigger athlete he probably isn’t stretching as much as is necessary or has weak or inactive hamstrings or glutes there are a lot of possible culprits in bad deadlift form. Good luck to him on getting the pull up, your buddy he has some natural power but 545 is nothing like a laurel to rest on.

I was stronger than that at 18 and that was after a hell of a rough trip through injury and illness and I didn’t think it was special then and certainly not now, it’s not bad by any means but normally when people post a deadlift for inspirational purposes it’s something unearthly, generally the product of ludicrous levers/power and/or a hell of a lot of hard work and the responses are reflecting the lack of that.
[/quote]

If you were that strong at 18 then kudos to you but I believe you to be the exception and not the norm. A 500LB dead lift is respectable, the standards here are high so its not going to win a round of applause but from an 18 year old its certainly not bad.

I personally believe that denigrating comments about peoples videos will probably prevent them from posting in the future, potentially losing good members. Is offering a bit of constructive criticism that difficult? What I can’t understand is that people who post videos of very impressive lifts like MM and H4M don’t feel the need to make negative criticisms about other people who have taken the time and effort to post videos of themselves.

Anyone on here is of course well within their rights to voice their opinions as they see fit, I just think its a shame people seem to be so conservative with encouragement and constructive criticism.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]Kevin5255 wrote:
you have a bad lift today or something? I know you can DL 545 so I won’t tell you to go take a vid of yourself doing it before you talk shit, but your attitude is unwarranted. Yes, the OP could have asked for some critique- because i guess you can post yourself jerking off as long as you want a critique of your form. Sure, it was sloppy form and he ramped it and it wasnt even the OP, but it’s a good lift for a teen. I have enjoyed every post you have written on here until this thread. Give credit where it’s due and get the 2-board out of your butt. [/quote]

Again my issue with the whole damned thing is, as many other people have noted as well, that it seemed just like some clutter of something not of the level “WTF impressive”. As was stated just prior to your post, usually when people post a deadlift video and they’re NOT asking for critique and it’s NOT of themselves being proud of an accomplishment, then it’s usually because there is a “WTF impressive” factor going on. That is my issue, that this area doesn’t degrade into something useless like the bb forum has because of the continuous amount of threads being posted that have no merit what so ever. This is the equivalent of a 200 lb 18 year old posting a front double bicep and saying “hey look at my 17 inch arms and hawt abz”, posing in the mirror of a bathroom a la myspace style. Had he done a full set of poses and asked for some critique he’d of had a much better response and no one would give him shit for doing it in the bathroom.

As I’ve said multiple times now, had he simply been asking for a critique or it had been the OP hitting a 545 deadlift for the first time or something I’d have absolutely zero issue with any of this and would of commended it. As of now it just seems superfluous.

[quote]Arem wrote:
[/quote]

I’m assuming this is a slight at my shitty bench? I know it sucks so you’re not really pushing my buttons. Why repost anything? Why not simply hit 545 for YOUR first time (or if you already have an even bigger PR) and I will gladly commend you and raise a beer in your honor just like I will whenever Dixie hits his 600, Angus hits his 500, 2scoops gets his #1 ranking in the squat, or anything else of personal merit of all the lifters here. Why not join the ranks of awesome and strive for your own video of “WTF”. Again this is absolutely nothing against your boy and his lift, simply irritated by all the garbage that’s being posted on T-Nation as of late that serves no merit or isn’t WTF impressively awesome. [/quote]

I’ve hit 545 before, don’t worry. And honestly my knock on your bench was the terrible form. You pop one arm up and then lever the other arm up. To be claiming someone is hitching when they are not (although admittedly his form is not competition legal), when you don’t even know how to bench is unwarranted.

Oh, and btw, this kid still holds a texas deadlift record. Stay tuned for 700 lbs.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Probably a few people. Again if it was his own lift and he was asking for critique then that’d be a-ok in my book. As it is now it’s like he’s trying to show off his buds accomplishments (which sure for an 18 year old aren’t bad, but nothing just OMG WTF level). Again if it was his own lift I’d give some CC, but this is just clutter in my opinion.[/quote]
I knew some 181 and 198 that could at that age .

His hamstrings and glutes are very very weak. His back and grip look pretty solid. That being said, his form is just fucking terrible. He may keep getting stronger pulling this way but he will porbably kille himself before 700… or even 600.

Gotta get the slack out of the bar before the pull starts in order to get tension on his hamstrings. It takes time for them to develop maximal tension so they need to get started before the pull initiates. This will keep his hips down. He is extremely quad dominant, hence the ramp, so tell him to work the living shit out of his hamstrings and glutes. Fix those two things and he will do 600+in less than a month.

I’d also say it’s not the Texas state record. It’s a federation record on Texas . Back when I started when there was one fed, the uspf, you could claim a state record . I know for a fact over years a 545 isn’t the best lift at his weight and age in Texas .

Chip McCain was deadlifting oved 600 in the early 80s at about 220. It might have been over 700. He might have been 242, but one of those classes .

How about just critiquing the lift. No one cares what your feelings are about why they put lifts up. Strong lift by your buddy OP. Form issues were already mentioned. Once he gets them squared, his lifts will be really impressive.

I have a big problem with claimed records that aren’t . Eighteen year old state record holders in Texas , one of the top powerlifting states in the USA should be plusa top 100 at a minimum .

It’s a decent lift and he’ll get better if he works at it . But it’s not record setting . You put it out there , you’ll be criticized .

His form may be awful but for an 18 year old (or any age really) he’s awfully damn strong. Step outside of PL people and tell me how many folks you know from “down in accounting” that are knocking up that kind of (shittily pulled) weight. Good for him. I just don’t see a reason for it being on here or an issue with it either.

[quote]BrianHanson wrote:
His form may be awful but for an 18 year old (or any age really) he’s awfully damn strong. Step outside of PL people and tell me how many folks you know from “down in accounting” that are knocking up that kind of (shittily pulled) weight. Good for him. I just don’t see a reason for it being on here or an issue with it either.[/quote]

Hey I’m from accounting…

His form may be awful but for an 18 year old (or any age really) he’s awfully damn strong. Step outside of PL people and tell me how many folks you know from “down in accounting” that are knocking up that kind of (shittily pulled) weight. Good for him. I just don’t see a reason for it being on here or an issue with it either.[/quote]

In powerlifting you compare to powerlifting . Not untrained individuals . He’s strong, needs work , and can get better .

But I’ve seen smaller, lighter guys lift more at that age . That’s all .

LOL at caring what normal people can do.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
LOL at caring what normal people can do.

[/quote]

This made me lol. rofl.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said “down in accounting”, maybe I should have said that’s a strong 18 year old.

Tom,

I guess what I was saying is that for a guy pulling for 30 days or so at the age of 18, 545 is fantastic, you can compare it to anyone you want but remember he’s been doing it 30 days (according to the OP), if people take to random internet assaults simply because they find a lift less than stellar, very few people will actually post videos of their training.

Dixie,

I understand your point, this is after all a PL forum, what I am pointing out is that strength is on one hand relative (a 545 DL is peanuts next to Andy Bolton but Epic next to Stephen Hawking) but also very quantifiable, and just using 545 as a number compared to other powerlifters you will see that 545 is a good, solid lift, not a “Holy Shit did you see that!!!” lift, not even a “Let me see that again!” lift but definitely a nice amount of weight especially for someone new to pulling. Go look at PL Watch meet results and you will see what I mean.

I pull in the low 500’s (up until recently my raw bench was more than either my squat or DL) so I am no SME, I am just trying a live and let live philosophy with regards to the interwebz, in the immortal words of Rodney King “Can’t we all just get along?”

…and just using 545 as a number compared to other powerlifters you will see that 545 is a good, solid lift, not a “Holy Shit did you see that!!!” lift, not even a “Let me see that again!” lift but definitely a nice amount of weight especially for someone new to pulling. Go look at PL Watch meet results and you will see what I mean…I am just trying a live and let live philosophy with regards to the interwebz, in the immortal words of Rodney King “Can’t we all just get along?”[/quote]

Exactly…there seemed to be a lot of douchey posts attacking the OP for no real reason…

OP: Tell your buddy to keep up the good work, work on his form, and kick some ass!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

…and just using 545 as a number compared to other powerlifters you will see that 545 is a good, solid lift, not a “Holy Shit did you see that!!!” lift, not even a “Let me see that again!” lift but definitely a nice amount of weight especially for someone new to pulling. Go look at PL Watch meet results and you will see what I mean…I am just trying a live and let live philosophy with regards to the interwebz, in the immortal words of Rodney King “Can’t we all just get along?”[/quote]

Exactly…there seemed to be a lot of douchey posts attacking the OP for no real reason…

OP: Tell your buddy to keep up the good work, work on his form, and kick some ass![/quote]

BTW, addressing Liquid Mercury’s point that the Powerlifting forum is a more quality forum than the BB Forum, I fully agree…but its not because we have some unwritten rule that only record breaking lifts are allowed to be posted as threads, its because the douchey negative responses are usually kept to an absolute minimum…maybe keep that in mind next time you want to police the fourm…

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

OP: Tell your buddy to keep up the good work, work on his form, and kick some ass![/quote]

BTW, addressing Liquid Mercury’s point that the Powerlifting forum is a more quality forum than the BB Forum, I fully agree…but its not because we have some unwritten rule that only record breaking lifts are allowed to be posted as threads, its because the douchey negative responses are usually kept to an absolute minimum…maybe keep that in mind next time you want to police the fourm…
[/quote]

I’d attribute it to a lot of people not posting crap here more then negative responses. I mean hell I’ve taken the same approach towards the zacksmithy guy who has asked how to do every PL type program in the last week and made 10 threads about it.