54 Calorie Oatmeal Cookies

I’ve been lurking on this site for over a year, never contributing much. Primarily it’s because I’m learning, and don’t know enough to teach. I thought I would start to post some of the recipes I’ve developed as a way to give something back.

Oatmeal cookies

1 cup whole grain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup ‘Smart Balance’ butter substitute
1/4 natural (no sugar added applesauce
1/4 cup Splenda (more or less to taste)
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup oatmeal
1 egg (or two egg whites)
1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
1/2 cup craisins (or raisins)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)

Mix flour, baking powser, nutmeg, soda, and cloves in one bowl. Mix everything else but the craisins in another. Slowly add the dry mix to the wet mix, mixing them together. Add Craisins/Raisins and stir.

Use a 1/8 cup measuring cup to measure out each cookie, and then flatten. You should end up with 20 cookies or so. Bake 18-20 min at 350. This will leave them soft but done.

Note that with the Smart Balance and the flaxseed, this recipe is high in Omega-3 and Omega-6, as well as high in fiber. Both contribute to good cholesterol balance and low overall cholesterol. It’s also a good source of iron, calcium, and a decent source of Vit A.

Nutrition breakdown for whole recipe (with craisins, whole egg, no protein powder)

1079 calories
42 g protein
19 gram fat (4 g saturated)
214 mg cholesterol
1886 mg sodium
33 g fiber
198 g carb

Assuming you ended up with the same 20 oookies I do, that means each cookie is:
54 calories
2.1 g protein
.95 gram fat
10.7 mg cholesterol
94.3 mg sodium
1.65 g fiber
9.9 g carb

You, sir, are an evil bastard. Why did you put up such a tasty sounding recipe when I am stuck in low-carb land?

[quote]daven wrote:
You, sir, are an evil bastard. Why did you put up such a tasty sounding recipe when I am stuck in low-carb land?[/quote]

indeed.

I know what my next post workout meal’s gonna be…one batch of 20 54calorie oatmeal cookies and some milk for added protein…insane growth here I come!

[quote]daven wrote:
You, sir, are an evil bastard. Why did you put up such a tasty sounding recipe when I am stuck in low-carb land?[/quote]

So, ummm, I should hold off on the whole wheat, strawberry, and almond cake recipe? I’ll try to throw out a low carb next time.

Glad you guys like it. I’ll put up a few more soon.

[quote]DocWagon wrote:
daven wrote:
You, sir, are an evil bastard. Why did you put up such a tasty sounding recipe when I am stuck in low-carb land?

So, ummm, I should hold off on the whole wheat, strawberry, and almond cake recipe? I’ll try to throw out a low carb next time.

Glad you guys like it. I’ll put up a few more soon.
[/quote]

Under random acts, there’s a recipes thread. Your stuff would be a great addition there.