531: Train to Failure w/ Assistance Lifts?

Hi,
This program sounds great and I’ve decided to give it a try. The only question I have is on the assistance exercises if I should take all the sets to failure? or stop a few reps short on the first 3 or 4 and only take the last 1 or 2 sets to failure? or should I stop short of failure on all the sets?

I asked this before and was told it doesn’t matter and just focus on the main lifts but with all due respect to the person that gave me that answer I can’t understand how the intensity of how you perform 10 or 15 sets doesn’t matter. It would be especially beneficial to hear an answer from someone that’s had great success from this program. Thanks in advance,

I’m a 5/3/1 lover. I actually use higher reps than the prescribed goal reps of the day. All of my accessory work is ramped up to a top set, done just shy of failure. This has worked well. Going to all out failure does nothing for me except keep me tired for several days. I recover better and progress better when I leave some in the tank.

I’m starting to toy with using the perfect rep methods and 5/3/1.

Why not just ask Wendler himself in the current “5/3/1” thread in “Powerlifting”?

I believe he already answered the question )at least once), OP read theeBook