T Nation

531/Starting Strength Hybrid Routine

After running 531's BBB program for a year and seeing awesome results, I've had to make some modifications in order to accommodate a busier work schedule. I decided I was no longer as interested in hypertrophy, and wanted to do some sort of purely strength-based program. I loved the 531 rep scheme so much and did not want to get rid of it, so I designed a MWF 121/212 program based on the rep scheme.

My template is as follows. all three main lifts use wendler's "i'm not doing jack shit" rep scheme:

Workout 1: Front squat/OHP/Deadlift (monday's only, subbing in light power cleans/BB rows when workout 1 falls on a different day), pull ups 3XF (alternating grips each workout).

Workout 2: Low bar squat/Bench press/Powerclean (deadlift when workout 2 falls on monday), hanging leg raises 3xF

I have been running this since january and seeing awesome results. My deadlift 1rm has gone from 320-350lbs, and every other lift has gone up steadily every 2 weeks (each cycle takes 2 weeks total, ignoring deload unless my body tells me I need one). I just recently had to program deadlifts back to one per week max, as my body wasn't able to recover in time when deadlift workout's fell on monday and friday. I am seeing steady gains every 2 weeks in squats and presses, and every 3 weeks in my deadlift.

Current 1rms as of last cycle (185lb BW): Bench 200lb, OHP 155lb, squat 300lb, deadlift 350lb, power clean 170 lb, front squat 200lb.

I am curious if anyone has tried a similar setup, using a bill starr/rippetoe style routine using wendler's rep scheme/progression system. I have never really done a 5x5 routine in the past, and only started wendler's program after wasting lots of time trying to build a strength base via. body building splits. Now that I have been back under the barbell long enough to not want to go back to any other style of lifting, I am wondering if I should try a 5x5 style progression, or if this style programming seems more appropriate given my current totals. In other words, though this has worked for me thus far, would it be in my interest to explore 5x5 style programs instead of this? any advice/criticisms/life lessons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike .Y

1. “After running 531’s BBB program for a year and seeing awesome results…”
  2. “I have been running this since january and seeing awesome results.”

In other words, it is working incredibly. I am progressing with every one of my lifts. So lets change it.
I guess all of this getting strong shit and adding to my totals isn’t what it is cracked up to be after all.
I’d like some suggestions on a program that won’t work quite as well for me:)

I’d kill at this point in my training to add 30 lbs to my DL in a year. Enjoy

Doesn’t Wendler have 2-day-a-week and 3-day-a-week 5/3/1 templates?

There is a good full body template in the beyond book that is similar to SS. It includes power cleans as well. I would try something that Welder wrote first for 6 weeks. You had awesome results when you trusted him the first time.

[quote]Roran wrote:
There is a good full body template in the beyond book that is similar to SS. It includes power cleans as well. I would try something that Welder wrote first for 6 weeks. You had awesome results when you trusted him the first time.[/quote]

Thanks, i’ll definitely check this out.

[quote]mikeyeager123 wrote:

[quote]Roran wrote:
There is a good full body template in the beyond book that is similar to SS. It includes power cleans as well. I would try something that Welder wrote first for 6 weeks. You had awesome results when you trusted him the first time.[/quote]

Thanks, i’ll definitely check this out.
[/quote]

Glad I could help!

You sold a copy of beyond 531! hah

Haha! It’s a great book, enjoy! One of my top three favorite training related books.