T Nation

531 Shoulders

My overhead press sucks. I cleaning and jerking/pressing, push presses and most of the other movements people can think of. I have decided that I want to do a press day as part of my 531, but can’t see a sensible way of focusing it.

Quite clearly, C+J uses many more muscles than every other way of getting the weight overhead, but as these are all over the body it would make a poor supporting exercise to a military behind the neck or push press. I’d like to use it as my main movement, but I appreciate as its not really a press, this might be a terrible choice.

What do people think of it as a main movement? What other overhead pressing movements have people used with a 531? and with what supporting movements?

I do MP (not behind neck) from racks, just as the book shows, the day after DL.

Book?
I’ve been trying to work do 531 based on the articles here and on elitefts… where can i get the book/what is it called?

[quote]lnname wrote:
Book?
I’ve been trying to work do 531 based on the articles here and on elitefts… where can i get the book/what is it called?[/quote]

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=370&m=PD&pid=2976

Sheesh, you must not be very good at using google. :wink: The book isn’t really necessary, but it’s a decent program and Wendler deserves to be compensated for it.

Having a strong upper back, strong “core” (back/abs), strong shoulders & triceps are necessary for a big MP. It’s a difficult movement, but a strong MP is pretty awesome. Keep in mind though that it isn’t necessary to do for a big bench, and may not necessarily be a good shoulder builder as the weight you can use is limited by standing.