531 Questions: Deloads, 5 Forward/3 Back, Jokers, 351 for Meet?

Hey,

I am starting 531 for the second time. First time was a couple of years ago. Just wanted to clarify a couple things before I start.

I can do the deliad on week 4 or 7? Its just preference?

Am I supposed to go 5 cycles forward and 3 back? Or just keep going forward as far as I can and then go reset back 3 cycles?

Joker sets… Just a preference for days you feel good and strong? Right?

And lastly… I am competing in a bench only meet in March, does 531 work well for a meet or should I be doing 351 instead?

Thanks for any answers

Best advice is read the book, i am sure Jim is tired of answering questions that he already explained in his book.

Sorry to so blunt, but do you research from the book and follow the plan, results will come

I have read the book. And I’m confused about what to do because there are a hundred different programs in the book ( beyond 531 ), which is great. Just wondering if what I listed in my post is correct so I know I’m doing it right.

anyone?

Deload every cycle if you are tired, but as you said you are re-starting and fairly new to 531 your lifts should be “lighter” (remember to start light and progress slowly), so normally a deload every 2 cycles should be enough.

As for progress, keep upping weight after each cycle until you are not able to hit the min reps.
If you keep missing reps, take 10% of the training max for that lift, and restart

Funny, but, to answer all your questions the answer is yes.

Except for jokers. Just don’t until you have a very good grasp on your training. ie, if you find yourself asking questions about it, you don’t have a grasp of the program.

Good luck

I can do the deliad on week 4 or 7? Its just preference?

Either works depending on how you feel after the first cycle. Unless you are doing one of the challenges in the beyond book then follow it including the deload.

Am I supposed to go 5 cycles forward and 3 back? Or just keep going forward as far as I can and then go reset back 3 cycles?

From my understanding this was a band aid until proper programming is detailed in the new book. If you are not making your prescribed reps then reset. I went 7 cycles when I started 5/3/1 but have followed the 5 forward/3 back since and it works for me. 

Joker sets… Just a preference for days you feel good and strong? Right?

Yes, when you are feeling good. I do Jokers very rarely.

And lastly… I am competing in a bench only meet in March, does 531 work well for a meet or should I be doing 351 instead?

I would say yes to 351, the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book uses the 351 version exclusively. Through trial and error, at 47 my joints feel better using 351 the majority of the time and not going for AMRAP's during the 5s week

Thanks everyone appreciate your answers!