531 Musings From a Hard-Headed Novice

Hey guys,

I have decided to try out 5/3/1 as a novice rather than run linear progression.

I am hopefully going to join my countires armed forces in the not so distant future and 5/3/1 seems like it could be a good way to get ready for that. Rather than talk about if it works for a novice I have decided to try it.

I will be starting a log for anyone interested.

@Hellocopter I wouldn’t mind you popping into the log sometime :slight_smile:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]ScholesGoals wrote:
Why did you choose to do 5/3/1 as a novice? I would imagine something that has you only squatting once a week is designed for people squatting large numbers?[/quote]

That’s how I trained. Seemed to work out pretty well. Seems to work for the beginners I train too.

[/quote]

When I was coming off my back injury I only squatted once a week. I originally tried a starting strength linear periodization with squatting 3 times per week and it trashed my body and put my healing back about 3 or 4 months. I personally believe that the 5/3/1 start too light and work your way up works perfect with a novice.

Here is a link to an article Jim wrote on T Nation detailing how to set up 5/3/1 as a full body template but with some modifications specifically for a beginner. This should work great for you…

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/blood_and_chalk_vol_9_jim_wendler_talks_big_weights