T Nation

531 Monolith Recommendation and Question

I'm on week three and I have loved it. If you decide to embark on it, make sure you pay attention to the Recovery advice, both in the plan and in the Beyond book. The foam rolling, yoga stretching, and 30 minute daily relaxation are crucial. The 30-minute AirDyne (I have to use a road bike) also really helps me be ready for Day 1 again.

Question: Are Joker sets ever appropriate in this template? I felt really good and strong on the BP/DL day, so I did a couple jokers of each (I think I ended up at 110% of my TM) after I finished the prescribed reps. I don't think I'd use Jokers with the squats or OHD presses, since they already get quite a bit of work.

No - don’t do them. That is for another part of your training cycle, not this part. The AirDyne is by far the best piece of equipment I’ve used to help recovery, which is paramount for training. Enjoy the Monolith.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
No - don’t do them. That is for another part of your training cycle, not this part. The AirDyne is by far the best piece of equipment I’ve used to help recovery, which is paramount for training. Enjoy the Monolith.[/quote]

Thanks, Jim! I’ve been looking into some options. The older I get the more I understand the importance of recovery (and the more I hate my younger self).