T Nation

531 Help - Front Squat or Back?

hey, i’m 16, been lifting about 8 months seriously, this is the first week of my third cycle of 5/3/1. i am finding my squat is not increasing well at all.

my back cannot recovery fast enough between deadlifting and squatting (i deadlift first in the week)

i am tall (6’1-6’2) and i weigh about 210-215 (just lost about 10-15lbs in last 2 months)

should i switch my back squat day to a front squat day?

Doing front squats may be a viable option.

You may also want to consider that going balls to walls on your top deadlift set AND your top squat set isn’t going to work out very well, in a single week. Maybe keep some in the tank for one of the exercises (doing prescribed reps or only slightly more?), alternating every week?

I did the 3 day version, where you only have 3 lower body workouts in 2 weeks, instead of 4. You could try that, too.

Try a solution out for a month or two. If it works, then, great. If not, try something else.

(Edit: Actually, do you really have a problem? How do you know your back cannot handle it? Is it just sore? Have your squat weights staid steady, or decreased, over many workouts?)

I’m not having a problem with doing squats and deadlifts in one week. I agree with goo, focus on one of them and let the other chill.

But honestly, I go balls to the wall on both and I haven’t had an issue yet. Eat more?

Also, where are you sore? Are you sore in your glutes? If not, you might have a form issue.

well right now im cutting and im finding that the weights are starting to suffer or atleast stagnate, and its just getting hard for my lower back to recover from deadlift day to squat day. i just feel stiff and sore still on squat day, and i tend to lean forward on days like this, thus affecting my form and hurting my squat numbers and risking injury.

You can’t expect numbers to be going up while cutting weight.

You’re giving your body less fuel than it needs. The goal is to lose fat. Focus on that, and try to keep the strength as high as possible but don’t be too stressed about it.

I’d stick with back squats. Do some back extensions after squats and deadlifts- this helped me tremendously with lower back soreness. Eat more protein- that might help with recovery.

[quote]johnconkle wrote:
You can’t expect numbers to be going up while cutting weight.

You’re giving your body less fuel than it needs. The goal is to lose fat. Focus on that, and try to keep the strength as high as possible but don’t be too stressed about it.

[/quote]

x2

5/3/1 is a great program, but it’s made to make big strides in the amount of weight you lift. I would say eat more to help your squat go up, but since you say you are cutting… I don’t know… I wouldn’t cut with this program but that’s just me.

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
5/3/1 is a great program, but it’s made to make big strides in the amount of weight you lift. I would say eat more to help your squat go up, but since you say you are cutting… I don’t know… I wouldn’t cut with this program but that’s just me.[/quote]

Truth. If anything, eat more and train harder to get the g-flux Berardi talks about going.