531 Fullbody

Been doing 531 for over 6 months now since I started lifting seriously 3 years ago. My maxes are currently 440Lbs deadlift 375 Squat, 300 Bench and 190 Press

I feel I need some more practice on Squats, that’s why I’m eying the Fullbody template. Right now I want to do the following:

Monday
Squat 3 sets of 5-10 reps (60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5)
Deadlift 531, Jokers
DB Bench 3 sets of 8-20 reps or Dips 5-3 sets
Kroc Rows or Chins 50 reps

Wednesday
Squat 3 sets of 5-10 reps (60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5 paused)
Bench Press 531, Jokers, FSL pauzed 3 sets
Powershrugs (3 heavy sets)
DB Row 3 sets or Kroc Rows
Biceps superset with triceps 3 sets of 8-20 reps

Friday
Squat 531, Jokers
Press 531, Jokers, FSL
Chins superset with Dips 5-3 sets / 50 reps

Pr sets capped at 8/10
Jokers would be optional on the feel good days.
FSL would be 3 sets of 8 reps ( some paused)

I’m a bit worried that the accesory would be too much. I have the book (Beyond) and it does not say anything about the accesories in the fullbody template. Any advice (from more experienced lifters) on this would be appreciated.

The programs for full body are “complete” in the Beyond book. You don’t add anything.
Why don’t you try the program for a 6 week cycle before you change it? I put a lot of time and work in everything I develop and they are written for a reason: progress.

1 Like

When you do the Beyond full body template, do you only do the 5/3/1+ for the main lift of the day? What I mean is, you should not add jokers or FSL to the main lift of the day correct (I assume because the volume would become a problem)?

[quote]irfhdah wrote:
When you do the Beyond full body template, do you only do the 5/3/1+ for the main lift of the day? What I mean is, you should not add jokers or FSL to the main lift of the day correct (I assume because the volume would become a problem)?[/quote]

In general, this is correct.

The reason for the added accesory and FSL/Jokers was to add some volume. I’m a bit worried it might leave some other bodyparts lagging.
I was not planning on using this for 6 weeks but more for like 6 months or maybe longer with switching out some of the accesories, keeping the basics the same.

So what you’re advising is do the program strict for 6 weeks and then seek out a new program.

Thanks for the response!

Cobblepot, do the Rest/Pause program from Beyond 5/3/1. It is full-body, two days a week, uses very few movements, and leaves NOTHING lagging behind whatsoever. You will gain size, strength, and a huge appetite.

[quote]Cobblepot wrote:
The reason for the added accesory and FSL/Jokers was to add some volume. I’m a bit worried it might leave some other bodyparts lagging.
I was not planning on using this for 6 weeks but more for like 6 months or maybe longer with switching out some of the accesories, keeping the basics the same.

So what you’re advising is do the program strict for 6 weeks and then seek out a new program.

Thanks for the response![/quote]

You keep the same principles (531) but switch the “template”.

Will give it a good 6 weeks as written in the book! Thanks.

Got a friend looking to start the 531 full body for fat loss as well as to keep his strength and muscle. He is currently 5’10 290lbs, not very healthy but we are hoping that following this program to a tee will do the trick over time, has anyone used the full body plan for weight losses above 40lbs? How long did it take you and what if any tips do you have? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks

[quote]benzzo wrote:
Got a friend looking to start the 531 full body for fat loss as well as to keep his strength and muscle. He is currently 5’10 290lbs, not very healthy but we are hoping that following this program to a tee will do the trick over time, has anyone used the full body plan for weight losses above 40lbs? How long did it take you and what if any tips do you have? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks [/quote]

He is looking at weight loss in the wrong light. He must adjust his attitude and adopt a “get to 1 less pound” attitude, not rushing AT ALL to lose 40 pounds. This is why people stay fat or put it back on. If it took YEARS to become a sloth, he should realize that it will take him a long time to undo all the years of shit habits.

Which brings me to the next point: habits. Losers diet. Winners have habits. Sure, they don’t sell books or melt away fat faster. But they do result in long term gains (or losses…simply semantics). It’s not about losing 40 pounds: it’s about getting the work in everyday. Doing things right. Being a man of action, not calipers. Or scales. He must focus on the process and not the outcome. If you focus on the latter, YOU WILL ALWAYS FAIL.

And at the end of the day, if he is able to do 20 dead hang chins, squat 500 and finish a Prowler goal AND a AirDyne goal - I’m guessing that whatever weight he is, he will be happy. And I’ll let you do the math on performance and its correlation on everything else.

1 Like

Hi Jim, I’m following your Full body (beyond 5/3/1)
Can i just change some set/rep?
I swap DL day with Sq day and set/rep of squat in 2nd and 3rd day to add some volume to squat and DB bench
Day 1: Squat 5/3/1 + FSL
DB bench 5x10
Day 2: Squat 8/8/6 (60-70-80: look like SST)
Bench 5/3/1+ FSL
Day 3: Squat 5/5/5 (65-75-85: look like SST)
DL+ Press: 5/3/1 (FSL)

If you’ve done the program for a couple cycles as is and feel like you need to make some changes do as you see fit and makes sense to you. If you haven’t done the program and tried it, see Jim’s response above to changing the program. You are essentially asking the same question as the OP

Sorry, I’m doing exactly what he wrote in Beyond 5/3/1
No need any change lol