531 for Size (Building the Monolith)

Anyone else trying the new 531 template? First impressions?

Squats - 20x70%TM

My first impression was this: Prediction - Pain.wmv - YouTube

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out a method to tackle 100 reps of chins…

I doubt I would manage to do Squat ? 70×5, 80×5, 90×5, 90×5, 90×5, 90×5, 90×5 let alone the rest of the workout. If I decreased my training max by alot then perhaps.

Obviously your TM needs to be dialed in, but that’s true for all templates. And the 90% sets are very doable if your diet is in order and you expect to give the sets the needed recovery time between them, and also you need to believe in yourself and not cut it short.

Are the percentages correct? In the last paragraph it says " 20 rep squats SUCK. If you want, adjust the %â??s on this day and make them lower (but still follow the same progression â?? 5% jumps per week) " but the written percentages are 45% for the first friday 55% for the second and 55% for the third.
Another point that confuses me is the % and sets on friday for the Press. On most days it is the FSL % but on week 2 it is 50 instead of 65 and on week 4 it is 60 instead of 70. The number of sets also differs on week 5.

[quote]MarcelW wrote:
Are the percentages correct? In the last paragraph it says " 20 rep squats SUCK. If you want, adjust the %â??s on this day and make them lower (but still follow the same progression â?? 5% jumps per week) " but the written percentages are 45% for the first friday 55% for the second and 55% for the third.
Another point that confuses me is the % and sets on friday for the Press. On most days it is the FSL % but on week 2 it is 50 instead of 65 and on week 4 it is 60 instead of 70. The number of sets also differs on week 5.
[/quote]

I´ve noticed this aswell. Would be great if Jim comented on this!

Having run this template, I can tell you this by far one of my favorites and something everyone should give a go if you are willing to do the work outside the weightroom (eating, sleeping, conditioning, etc…the recovery work). Like all templates Jim writes, do it as written before screwing with it. I understand the questions concerning the 20 reps squats and the percentages. Do it as written for six weeks, do something a little less extreme for six weeks, and come back to it and then mess with the percentages if you feel you need to. I’ve done it both ways, exactly as written (45, 55, 55, 50, 65, 70) and then switching it to 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 the second time around because I am OCD with numbers. To be honest, it doesn’t matter. 20 rep squats suck the life out of you all the while making your balls grow larger.

Here are some random thoughts:

Eat…when you think you have eaten enough, eat some more. This template is designed to move the scale, so grow. If you think something like this is worth doing, then it is worth doing right.

Conditioning…the AirDyne will be your best friend the day after your 20 rep squats. Do something to get blood flowing to your legs. If you don’t have a prowler or an AirDyne, do something similar (read: easy conditioning) that won’t take away from what you are trying to accomplish in the weightroom.

Accessories…adjust the volume to suit your abilities and try to work up to the target reps. I suck at chins, so I switched the weighted chins out for fat man rows and did chins (sets of 3) between the Press BBS sets. Dips, I couldn’t do 100, so I started with 5x10 and ended up with 10x10 by the end of the program.

Training max…I can’t remember, but I think it is suggested to go no higher than 85%, but like mentioned earlier, it needs to be dialed in. I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for almost three year and have pretty much religiously followed the 5/3 periodization. I ran this for the first time one cycle after the 3 cycles back reset. Remember, the TM is a tool. The second you forget that, you become the tool.

As Jim put in the write-up, this template is doable. It’s not easy and will require some focus, dedication, self-discipline, etc…you know, all the crap that makes people awesome.

1 Like

[quote]Hamilton1986 wrote:
Anyone else trying the new 531 template? First impressions?[/quote]

Start it tomorrow. 1st question is about the first two exercises - for example “Squat 65x5” is 65% x 5 based on TMx85%, right?

2nd: After Week 3 we add to TM +2.5kg to press and bench press and +5kg to deadlift and squat like the classic 5/3/1? Thanks

There are twice as many squat/press days vs deadlift/bench days, looks to be a good way to get additional squat/press work in. This program looks like a ball buster, I’m in later this year.

[quote]Bruce Kalb wrote:
Having run this template, I can tell you this by far one of my favorites and something everyone should give a go if you are willing to do the work outside the weightroom (eating, sleeping, conditioning, etc…the recovery work). Like all templates Jim writes, do it as written before screwing with it. I understand the questions concerning the 20 reps squats and the percentages. Do it as written for six weeks, do something a little less extreme for six weeks, and come back to it and then mess with the percentages if you feel you need to. I’ve done it both ways, exactly as written (45, 55, 55, 50, 65, 70) and then switching it to 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 the second time around because I am OCD with numbers. To be honest, it doesn’t matter. 20 rep squats suck the life out of you all the while making your balls grow larger.

Here are some random thoughts:

Eat…when you think you have eaten enough, eat some more. This template is designed to move the scale, so grow. If you think something like this is worth doing, then it is worth doing right.

Conditioning…the AirDyne will be your best friend the day after your 20 rep squats. Do something to get blood flowing to your legs. If you don’t have a prowler or an AirDyne, do something similar (read: easy conditioning) that won’t take away from what you are trying to accomplish in the weightroom.

Accessories…adjust the volume to suit your abilities and try to work up to the target reps. I suck at chins, so I switched the weighted chins out for fat man rows and did chins (sets of 3) between the Press BBS sets. Dips, I couldn’t do 100, so I started with 5x10 and ended up with 10x10 by the end of the program.

Training max…I can’t remember, but I think it is suggested to go no higher than 85%, but like mentioned earlier, it needs to be dialed in. I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for almost three year and have pretty much religiously followed the 5/3 periodization. I ran this for the first time one cycle after the 3 cycles back reset. Remember, the TM is a tool. The second you forget that, you become the tool.

As Jim put in the write-up, this template is doable. It’s not easy and will require some focus, dedication, self-discipline, etc…you know, all the crap that makes people awesome.[/quote]

What this guy said.

What do you recommend as far as supersetting goes? I assume it’s ok with the assistance work, e.g. alternating face pulls and dips.

What about with main lifts? E.g. doing chins betweens sets of Squats and Presses?

[quote]Hamilton1986 wrote:
I’m trying to figure out a method to tackle 100 reps of chins…[/quote]

Do 20 sets of 5 throughout the workout, its not so bad just annoying to keep track of

chins are not shoulder friendly for me is it okay to replace with pulldowns using proper percentages for assistant programming

Did my research found my answer ,looks like I will be switching chins for t-bar, barbell rows not giving up on chins I just have to watch what my total reps are, shoulder feels real loose after to many.

This both excites and frightens me at the same time. I’m in.

Jim, question about the meals you recommend because of my job the third meal sometimes is hard for me to get could I substitute peanut butter sandwiches for the double cheese burgers or not worry about it, and just get the minimum recommended.

Doesn’t the article give a requirement on meat and eggs and the rest is your call?

[quote]gsalyer wrote:
Jim, question about the meals you recommend because of my job the third meal sometimes is hard for me to get could I substitute peanut butter sandwiches for the double cheese burgers or not worry about it, and just get the minimum recommended. [/quote]

Substituting those double cheese burgers is going to be a deal breaker.

going with the dollar menu bulk plan on this one.j/k