531 for Older Folks

Jim…

Do you ever adjust templates or recommend someone NOT do a certain template based on their age at the beginning of a 531 cycle? For example, would you recommend 531 BBB to a 40, 50, or 60 y/o?

I assume it’s a matter of “do what you’re able to” but I was curious if you ever adjust right out of the gate.

I’m 41 next month. I do 5-3-1 as written. My training max doesn’t care how old I am and yours won’t either. Yeah, train what is trainable and put a priority on recovery and 'prehab" stuff. You’ll be fine man.

I’ve run several 531 cycles and it’s been wonderful. I’m just noticed a marked increase in knee/back/shoulder issues with my last round with BBB. Nothing a little naproxen and ice can’t help.

42 years with 20+ of those coming from active military service does wonders on your joints. Right now I’m just running it with the pyramid template in Beyond 531…I like it. So far no major joint pain…I attribute it to the lower volume.

Other coaches (like Justin Lascek/Lon Kilgore in FIT) recommend old farts just do the Not Doing Jack Shit template.

Was curious to hear from Jim on what he does.

Go to elitefts an check out some of his training logs. Should give you an idea of how he approaches his training.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
I’m 41 next month. I do 5-3-1 as written. My training max doesn’t care how old I am and yours won’t either. Yeah, train what is trainable and put a priority on recovery and 'prehab" stuff. You’ll be fine man. [/quote]

42 here… 531 +BBB for a year+ now. About time for a change, because, it’s time to change a few things up… but it’s been an epic year.

46 -
Been using 5-3-1 since 2007 and done many versions such as BBB challenge, prowler challenge, etc. I never even think about age except when concerns like this are posted. I am not exactly in great shape either - I am built like a powerlifter if ya know what I mean. 2 things help me immensely. First - remember one of the 5-3-1 tenants is using a training max 10% less than max and also you do not have to hammer out max reps every workout. 2nd - I have completely disregarded the idea of
a 7 day work week - I do a week over 10 days and recovery is perfect.