531 Boring But Big with Some Tweaks

I just started doing the following program. My goal is strength and size. I also train boxing and would like to avoid getting slow from lifting.

Friday: Bench press (531) Military press (531) Incline dumbell press (5x10) Lateral raises (5x12) Chins (5x10)

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Deadlift (531) Front squat (5x10) Skullcrushers (5x10) Dumbell curls (5x10) Hanging leg raises (5x10)

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Boxing. Ropes, circuit training body weight, technical sparring, sparring

Wednesday: Power cleans (6x2), Back squat (531) Deadlift (5x10)

Thursday: Boxing. Ropes, Heavy bag intervals, technical sparring

Does this seem like a good plan? I have lifted on and off in my 20s. Now started at it for 6 months. 41 yers old, 240 pound, 6ft3. 270 squat, 260 bench, 370 deadlift etc. I added powercleans because I’d like to get som explosive work as well. Not sure if I should do it before squats but I thought it should be first because it is explosive. My squat is lagging behind and front squat is a lot weaker than back squat (180 vs 270) Any input?

The LAST 531 program I would ever recommend for an athlete is BBB. So no, this is not a good thing.

Jim which one would you recommend? I guess I am in a similar situation. I’m training primarily for BJJ but am just coming to the end of my first cycle of BBB (my goal however it to move up a weight class).

Any advice very much appreciated.

[quote]UKBJJSam wrote:
Jim which one would you recommend? I guess I am in a similar situation. I’m training primarily for BJJ but am just coming to the end of my first cycle of BBB (my goal however it to move up a weight class).

Any advice very much appreciated.[/quote]

My guess is that Jim is hinting at the fact that BBB is high volume and requires a lot of recovery time/effort that could hinder athletic performance. If you are primarily training for BJJ, follow a version of 5/3/1 that is lower volume, but still allows for growth. And your caloric intake is going to have the most to do with growth in my opinion.