T Nation

531 Bodybuilding

I have been doing the bbb 3 month challenge,finished it yesterday with some good results. Now Im thinking about doing the 531 bodybuilding template for a while, whats your thoughts about that template?

Also have some questions regarding my tm s. I failed to get the last 1 rep in my last cycle in the squat and really struggled to make it in the bench, ohp and deadlift. Should I dial back my tm s or how should I setup my next cycle?

Thanks in advance

Unless I’m mistaken you’re saying you can’t get 1 rep at 95%?

If this is the case your TM is way off and you need to lower it quite a bit.

Absolutely dial back. TM is only a tool. To give you perspective, last cycle I hit my TRAINING MAX for no less than 5 reps on each powerlift (I’m doing 5’s pro with OHP). These were also numbers I struggled to hit once 6 months ago.

EDIT: Beyond that sailent point. Do whatever motivates you. enjoy and good luck!

Ok thanks for the answers. My next question is about the assistance lifts in the bodybuilding template, how should I setup these; like the bbb program 60% first month 70 % next month of rp max? For example: monday: military press 531 but then what about the db military press what progression should I use?

Or should I go by how it feels?

[quote]MatiasS wrote:
Ok thanks for the answers. My next question is about the assistance lifts in the bodybuilding template, how should I setup these; like the bbb program 60% first month 70 % next month of rp max? For example: monday: military press 531 but then what about the db military press what progression should I use?

Or should I go by how it feels?[/quote]

Percentages are a lot easier to program with supplemental work (like paused squats for example). You could get away with using percentages for maybe one assistance exercise, like in a 5’s pro fashion or something, but you’d need to use a pretty low training max on that lift.

If I wanted to run the bbb 3 month challenge for a longer period, how would I setup that? Thinking about the assistance and 50% first month 60% second month and 70%third month.

[quote]MatiasS wrote:
If I wanted to run the bbb 3 month challenge for a longer period, how would I setup that? Thinking about the assistance and 50% first month 60% second month and 70%third month.

[/quote]

The book covers how tos run BBB outside of the challenge.

“Also have some questions regarding my tm s. I failed to get the last 1 rep in my last cycle in the squat and really struggled to make it in the bench, ohp and deadlift. Should I dial back my tm s or how should I setup my next cycle?”

You should have reset a long time ago.

Thanks for the answers. I have read the book, regarding the boring but big for a longer time I wondering about the assistance %. In the 3 month challenge you increase the % (50,60,70) every month but in the “original” bbb you always keep the assistance at 50% of TM(increase TM after 3rd week and 6th week)is this correct?

[quote]MatiasS wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I have read the book, regarding the boring but big for a longer time I wondering about the assistance %. In the 3 month challenge you increase the % (50,60,70) every month but in the “original” bbb you always keep the assistance at 50% of TM(increase TM after 3rd week and 6th week)is this correct?[/quote]

No - the %'s is whatever you want it to be.