T Nation

531 Bodybuilding Template Question

Hello everyone,

I have been following the 5/3/1 method for a couple years now. I don't want to change up the core of it, but I can say I am ready for a change. For the next few months, I will be following the 5/3/1 bodybuilding template (The bodybuilding split is on Wendler's website).

I haven't done much bodybuilding assistance for some time, so this will be a pleasant change. However, I have a few issues that I need to iron out before I start this routine. First of all, according to Wendler's write up, chest and bis are one day one, followed by back (with my biceps lifts) on day two. My main concern is that I don't want the previous bicep workouts to hinder my deadlift, so I want to switch the days around a little bit.

Here is what I am thinking:

Wednesday: Deadlift (Back)
Thursday: Bench (Chest and Tris)
Saturday: Squat (Legs and Abs)
Sunday: Military Press (Shoulders and Biceps)

I think this helps even out the arm work and separate it from the core lifts. However, I haven't seen many splits where deadlifting is the first day of lifting. Is this an issue? I am new to bodybuilding assistance, so I'm really not sure how to organize all of this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for not really addressing your questions as such, but something really jumped out at me. Training your biceps will absolutely not negatively effect your deadlift. No way in hell. Just do the program as written and get a feel for it before you change it around. Jim planned these templates out carefully, trust me.

First and foremost remember that your assistance work must train the muscle, not the movement, especially with the BB template. If you cannot feel the targeted muscle working hard during the assistance work, reduce the weight until you feel it.

Good luck!

If you feel that this will make you more successful, I am all for it. But I don’t know how doing curls will mess up your deadlift. But maybe your form is different than mine. Or you tore your biceps.

Not that I’m anyone but I do a version of BBB.

Day 1
OHP531
Bench - 5 sets of 8 reps 60%
shoulders and tri accessory

Deadlift531
Squat - 5 sets of 8 reps 60%
back and bi accessory

Bench 531
OHP 5 sets of 10 (don’t go heavier than standard BBB)
bench and tri accessory

Squat 531
Deadlift 5 sets of 8 reps
leg and calf accessory

seems to work for me… going up in weight consistently and growing

Dude this is 5 years old :laughing:

Lol not no more. we brought it back to life.