531 Beefcake Struggles

Hi guys and girls

I have beyond and forever books but I’m struggling to nail down some information for beefcake, I actually can’t find the information in my books sadly.

A combination of size and strength is what matters to me.

Is beefcake better done with 351 standard format or 5s pro format? This will be my first run at beefcake so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Day 1:
Squat ……
Squat is this done at FSL?
Dips and Chins

I am planning on running it for probably 2 6 week cycles followed by an anchor?

Any recommendations on anchors?

531 FSL?

I have been eyeing up god is a beast, Pervertor and Krypteia as they have in built anchors in my version of forever.

Most leader cycles (such as BBB Beefcake) tend to be done with 5s PRO with either 531 or 351 percentages. That said, I feel there was a bit of a trend in Forever of programming 351 percentages more often than 5s PRO

https://www.jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/boring-but-big-beefcake-training

5/3/1 and Widowmakers is a great low volume, high intensity follow-up to BBB. Do it with PR sets and FSL weights and shoot for 20 reps on a single set of supplemental.

1 Like

Nice thank you for that.

So first day at it today: using an 85% TM
Squats 5s
Squats 5 x 10 FSL giant set with chins and dips

I’m not sure if it’s the increase in volume compared to my normal upper/lower structure or the fact the giant sets are too much because strength based wised it was great, no forced reps etc but my conditioning is poor.

It’s made me a little light headed and starving!

I mean I do walk upwards of 15-20K steps a day at work and lump round on an easy day 2 tonnes but today was closer to 10-11 tonnes so maybe I’m not eating enough. 82kg bulking eating 3500 kcals

Yeah I’d say it sounds like you need some more food brother!

Watching a film with my 2 year old, got up to get a drink and felt like I’d downed 20 pints and was in the back of a taxi humming to myself and breathing in deep to stop hurling :joy:

Hi guys just an update and some more info,

With 5 sets of chins and 10 sets of rows in the program that’s 15 pulling sets

Vs

8 press and 8 bench and potentially 10 dips, that’s 26 pressing movements? Although dips could easily be done in less if they are pushed harder

Although it has 100 face pulls, arguably in 5 x 20 format

In Krypteia and other programs face pulls are recommended 100-200 reps daily or at least workout days,

Any issue doing 100 face pulls on the 4 days as extra work and keeping the originals pulls on Deadlift day but adding in more chins? Say another 5 x 10 so the pushing and pressing movements are equal?

For example
Squat Day is 50 Chins already
Press Day is 50 DB Rows
Deadlift Day would now be 50 Chins
Bench Day is 50 Rows
On all days include face pulls 100 reps

Too much?
Are the dips there for volume and not really hard enough to be classed as a hard push exercise so they don’t really contribute?

Just some clarification would be ace!

Thank you in advance

You can always do more Chin ups and face pulls. You can add them to your warmup like Jim does, and even add them to rest days. I love daily pull ups. Especially if Back and biceps are weak points for you, some extra work would be good for them. I would say not to do them Weighted really heavy for high frequency though, at least in my experience, I get extremely sore teres major muscles right under my armpit and sets me back a few days. If you do encounter this, I find Banded single arm Pulldowns a good way to work through it.

Day 2: Press

Press 5s pro 531

Press/DB Rows 5 x 10

HLR & Face Pulls 5 x 10/20

Split Squats 1 x 12 each leg

Day 3: Deadlift Day

Deadlifts 5s pro 531

Deadlifts 5 x 10

Chins & Dips 50 reps

100 face pulls

I may do a conditioning workout something like Fran 21-15-9 per week Thrusters and Pull Ups but if I had to include them on a current workout day, which would be of choice? Deadlift seems the most obviously based on the lack of upper pulling but seems the least obvious based on CNS, or is it better to either find another day for the sake of 21-15-9s or structure as above?

P.S. other days look very similar just not sure if I’m allowed to actually post a whole structure

As in Squat day includes 50 dips and 50 chins but not to count face pulls as a pull exercise and so sets of 15-20 during the Squat warm ups? Adding in volume that way? As regards to the pull volume I’m happy with overall 15 working sets cause they are heavier working sets than some of the pushing sets it’s the posture and shoulder health that concerns me