T Nation

531 BBB Upper and FSL the Lower

College athlete here and wondering if that is a good way to mix up templates to improve size and strength

New here and was wondering if I’m on the right track here with programming

Yes.
But it depends on what else you’re doing.

2 Likes

@B20M That could work great. But as @oscare said. It depends on what you’re doing. Jim gives his athletes a lot of leeway in the template ‘Krypteia Redux’ you can find it on his site/blog and may help you.

Yea, you can mix those up for each lift if you wanna. In fact, most people who get good results on 531, have found that different supplemental plans work better for each of the lifts.
I do stick to the same tho, but i dont like 5x10 or FSL original variations at all tho.

Thanks for the reply appreciate it, mind me asking why you don’t like 5x10 or fsl original variations? Which ones do you personally prefer?

Thanks man!

I checked it out thanks for telling me about it!

Nowdays, exercise science has done a lot of research so we dont have to guess anymore. 5x10 BBB or FSL is built upon volume principle which is correct but it is taken out of the context with intensity. So we do know that muscle is being stimulated to grow when we work at least 5 reps below failure, but it is stimulated more when we work 2-3 reps below failure, etc. On acessory movements we could even go as far as 1 rep to failure.
So lets take BBB 5x10 @ 50%… 50% out of a true max would be 20-30 reps. 50% out of a training max of 90% is even more. So doing first sets of 5x10 @ 50% dont do absolutely nothing except teach you the movement(for beginners this is good tho).So you need 3-4 sets to reach the intensity to START to stimulate something. You could have just done 3x10 @ 75% and start it right away, when all sets count.

Simmilar thing is with FSL. So in 3 weeks, FSL sets are 65%, 70% and 75%. In week three you are supposed to be able to do 75% FSL, right? Ok. So…why the fck are we doing 65 and 70? If i can ALREADY DO 75%, then doing anything less is just not optimal at best.
Im not saying this doesnt work - if Wendler wrote it, it DOES work, i am sure. Its just that i believe you can achieve more stimulus doing FSL Amrap after top set, than doing 5x5 where first 4 sets do nothing and you waste 10-15mins on those.

I really like FSL paused variation(In beyond). After top set, you do Spoto bench/press or Paused dead/squat for 3 sets of 5 reps. Now this variation is epic, because when you add spoto or pause, that increases intensity and now that shit is actually hard + it targets different points and gives you well rounded training, while still doing FSL in that time, so you get GOOD intensity and you practice weak points. This is written in beyond, and it also raises a question - if we are supposed to be able to do paused squat FSL, why regular squat(much easier) FSL is a thing as it is much much easier?

As far as BBB goes, in Beyond there is a variation of BBB… 5x5@80% , 5x3@90% or 5x1@TM.
This also doesnt make any sense as why he suggests 5x5 FSL @ 65% and later 5x5@80% is also a thing? Now 5x5@80% is friggin hard.
I suggest u be carefull with 5x3 and 5x1 because training over 90% is risky but its a good way to prep for meet maybe.

Anyway - options i like :
1)FSL Pause/Spoto
2)Pyramid with amraps on all downsets
3)BBB 5x5 variation
4)FSL amrap (after top set of 531 you do FSL set for an amrap).
5)You can also just go to assistance work and do 3x10-12 with intensity that makes it hard from the first set. This is good like after heavy deadlifts, and you shouldnt keep doing deadlifts after this so 3x12 on GoodMornings is an excelent option.

But thats just my opinion. I am sure that everything works as many people have reported that, its just a matter of - optimal time spending.
I know Wendler suggests you superset your BBB or FSL but then again we have studies on the fact that 3min rests between sets produce best strenght and hypertrophy therefore superseting also is not optimal as it only makes your BBB sets harder because you just did rows, not because it is actually hard enough to stimulate anything.