531 BBB Missed Reps at 70% Max

I just started the 3rd month of boring but big challenge and up until now I haven’t had a problem with missing any of the 5x10 reps. This week though when I am doing the 5 sets it’s more like 10, 10, 8, 6, 5 then I try to do a cluster set to get the rest of the reps in.

My question is, is it more important to keep the weight exactly as prescribed or get all the reps in one go? The actual 531 work feels like its appropriately difficult so I feel like I should leave the weight and just push until i can get 5x10 at 70%.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried doing rest-pause work? I have had the same issue only on the last two sets of my overhead press work on the last (70% cycle) phase III, and so I just rack the weight, pause about 15 seconds, and then immediately complete the last few reps on the last two sets. It works for me and it allows me to complete the prescribed reps on the last two sets without just stopping and moving on.

Take a look at the rule of 50 in Beyond.

It is important to complete the challenge. Increase the rest time and win.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
It is important to complete the challenge. Increase the rest time and win. [/quote]

Having done this challenge, this is exactly what I did towards the end. I rested 4-5 mins between my 5x10 sets when I was in the final phase of this. And by rested I mean I sat on a bench, stared at the weight, hated it, refused to let it win, and focused on completing the challenge. Rarely does anything good come from compromising on what you expect from yourself.

[quote]Bruce Kalb wrote:

It is important to complete the challenge. Increase the rest time and win. [/quote]

Having done this challenge, this is exactly what I did towards the end. I rested 4-5 mins between my 5x10 sets when I was in the final phase of this. And by rested I mean I sat on a bench, stared at the weight, hated it, refused to let it win, and focused on completing the challenge. Rarely does anything good come from compromising on what you expect from yourself. [/quote]

This.

[quote]Bruce Kalb wrote:

Having done this challenge, this is exactly what I did towards the end. I rested 4-5 mins between my 5x10 sets when I was in the final phase of this. And by rested I mean I sat on a bench, stared at the weight, hated it, refused to let it win, and focused on completing the challenge. Rarely does anything good come from compromising on what you expect from yourself. [/quote]

This is one of the best posts I’ve read in a while.

a.) absolutely monumental post, Bruce.

b.) funny how marginal “the assistance work following the assistance work” becomes during the 70% Max portion of this challenge. Even funnier how hard showering, eating and thinking is after said effort. You wanna talk about Not Doing Jack Sh!t after the 5 x 10 Assistance Work…and couldn’t be happier about it.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Bruce Kalb wrote:

This is one of the best posts I’ve read in a while.[/quote]

Seconded!