531 BBB Critique

Long time reader, first time posting.

Currently running yet another wave of 531 and figured I would share my layout for everyone’s critique or copy. I’ve read OG 531 and Forever. Always aiming to be the strongest version of myself.

Mon: Press 531, Bench BBB, Dips, Pullups

Tue: Squat 531, Deadlift BBB, Walking Lunge, Abs

Thur: Bench 531, Press BBB, Rows

Fri: Deadlift 531, Squat BBB, Walking Lunge, Abs

*All accessory work done 5x10 (except for lunges, which are 1x25).

Since you have forever, any reason you are going against Jim’s recommendation to keep the main lift and supplemental lift the same? Like bench 5/3/1 and the BBB bench? I find that much better than the mix and match

1 Like

Personal preference. Same weekly volume, different fatigue accumulation.

Oh for sure; I just find it less effective.

2 Likes

Word my brother. I have to agree. Saves time as well

For what it’s worth, i agree whole heartedly with @davemccright and @T3hPwnisher here.

2 Likes

Tell you what. After next deload, I’ll cycle it back to main/BBB same lift and run that and report back. Biggest issue was always 9-15 reps @ main % then another 50 of the same at reduced % and then not touching that lift/movement again for seven days. That said, much stronger and proficient today then when I last ran it in that manner so perhaps some of those inefficiencies have worked themselves out and resorting back per your preference will trump my preference and offer new gains. I’m down for the experiment. Thanks for the commentary. Truly.

1 Like

To my mind, BBB is primarily a muscle building tool, not a movement pattern building one. The purpose is to dig deep into recovery on one day, then eat your way out with a fork. If i was looking to build a movement pattern, then i see a benefit in increased frequency.

3 Likes

Will target the following for a seven-week block. The power of peer persuasion:

Press 531/Press BBB/Dip/Pullup

Squat 531/Squat BBB/Lunge/Core

Bench 531/Bench BBB/Row

Dead 531/Dead BBB/Lunge/Core

Seems solid enough. I’d single some sort of push, some sort of pull and some sort of single leg/core assistance work on all 4 days myself. And, of course, conditioning, jumps and throws need to be there as well.

@dagill2 Nailed it. BBB is dig deep and recover, and because of that we drop frequency. ANNNNND, if you REALLY want frequent practice on the barbell lifts, make them your conditioning. Here’s a workout I do once a week that gets me practice on the squats and deads

You could do a basic barbell complex with squats, deads and pressing overhead. That would honestly be pretty killer: deadlift the bar for 5, power clean it, press it for 5, rack it behind the back and squat it for 5. Another one I’ve done is squat or deadlift for 15, then 15 chins, 15 dips, then repeat the cycle for 5 and then for 10. Get it done as fast as possible. Really, all sorts of options there.

5 Likes

Revised and ready to rock.

Press 531
Press BBB
*Back
*Tricep

Squat 531
Squat BBB
*Single Leg
*Core

Bench 531
Bench BBB
*Back
*Shoulder

Deadlift 531
Deadlift BBB
*Single Leg
*Core

Awesome dude. I’ll once again say that I think single leg/core, upper body push and upper body pull assistance should be done on ALL training days to get your value out of this size gaining program, and there’s still no conditioning, jumps or throws so far, but you’ll grow no matter how you approach is as long as you have the main and supplemental work done.

2 Likes

I like the single leg stuff that you added in. I am finding my squat has been going up after I started single leg bulgarians and single leg SSB squats.

First time posting. Can you guys fill me in on what BBB is? My guess is the Boring But Big workout??

Thanks

Fantastic guess! You are correct.

1 Like

Wanted to give props to the community members that really share their experiences and critique questions/programming – here is a real-world example:
Back in June I revised my split and spent the past three-months busting my ass. Final verdict: BBB with the additional dip/pull/single leg/core work + keeping main movements same as supplemental is INDEED the optimal version. Final product (excluding conditioning, jumps, throws, core for simplicity in typing program outline below):

Bench 531
Bench BBB
Dips
Pull-ups

Squat 531
Squat BBB
Walking Lunge
Rows

Press 531
Press BBB
Dips
Pull-ups

Dead 531
Dead BBB
Walking Lunge
Rows

Additional shoulder, arm, hamstring, conditioning work pre/intra/or post sessions as prescribed. Currently feeling most optimized and like the biggest, baddest version of myself to date.

2 Likes