T Nation

531 and Basketball

I have basketball practice on Monday and Friday, and either Saturday or Sunday is game day. I also do some sprints on Tuesday or Thursday. That's why I think strength training 4 days a week might be too much. My question is would you advise me to train 3 days a week or 2? Or 4?

I'd also like to know which template for assistance work do you recommend in cases like mine if it's not too much to ask.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions. And sorry if I made any grammatical or spelling mistake, Enlgish is not my first language.

At first, lifting on practice days might not feel great, but you’d get used to it and after a couple of weeks it would be no big deal, and you’d be better off for it.

What time of day do you usually practice? There are lots of ways to work a lifting schedule around a sport.

We practise at night (usually 9-10:30), and I go to the gym in the afternoon most of the times (around 3:30).

Do you have any advice on which template fits my needs and schedule better?

Thank you

[quote]daniel26 wrote:
We practise at night (usually 9-10:30), and I go to the gym in the afternoon most of the times (around 3:30).

Do you have any advice on which template fits my needs and schedule better?

Thank you[/quote]

Jim may think differently but I come from a coaching background myself and for you with that much basketball and sprinting on “off” days it looks like I would recommend one of Jims 2 day templates. You aren’t going to build a lot of strenth and mass in-season but you can maintain what you have and keep your strenth levels up. Good luck!

Look at some of the stuff written for the high school athlete. Either that, or a 2-day program. With as many days off as you have from basketball (compared to an American collegiate or pro schedule), you definitely have time during the week to get some decent lifting in.

The day after a game is a great time to get work in, as it’s the farthest amount of time from your next game and aids in recovery. Doesn’t have to be anything hard, just get some blood flowing. Tuesdays - Thursday would be the days to get your toughest work in, then something light on Friday or Saturday prime you for the game. This isn’t meant to be tough at all either–just to break a sweat and feel well.

Two days/week - use the typical template. 5’s Pro for main lifts, no extra reps. TM set around 85% to ensure bar speed.

Use FSL as needed - no more than 25 reps total/5 reps per set on lower body stuff. This will have to be played by ear depending on how tired you are but for most athletes, you’ll be OK in-season. Upper body isn’t as strict.
Assistance is going to be dependent on what you have time for but keep it efficient. I would also do med ball throws before you train. Cut out box jumps.

Agile 8, 2 times/day.

That would be the base program - we usually do 3-6 weeks of base and then 3-6 weeks of something a little more intense. During the season, this probably wouldn’t be a great idea unless you aren’t playing much. Good luck!

Thank you Jim I’ll do as you say. Thanks to everyone for helping me out.