531 and Back Issues

Ran 531 bbb and variants for awhile now, was unaware of a herniated disc but while dead lifting 2 weeks ago… not even on a heavy set, messed up my back more and after 2 weeks off, and feeling alot better … the physical therapist I saw told me to resume my routine with addition of some stretches and basic exercises for hip and back. . .

Gotta be other 531ers out there that have a disc issue and eventually got back to things , but unsure what to do for the time being (taking 2 months off from dead lifting to really recover my lower back)

What should I do? Was recommended to do just the 2 upper days of 531 but then what for the rest ? Or should I move on to another routine for the time being to continue lifting ?

I have 3 herniated discs, 1 in the neck, 1 mid-back and the L5. I feel my best after I lift, I have run several 531 templates over the past 12 months without issue but you need to do what works best for you and that may mean down time. But most will tell you train what you can train and that seems logical and can keep you progressing in those areas.

In theory could run it as a 3 day split, bench squat ohp … and when I’m more recovered and or cleared , to introduce Deadlifts back in, at a lower weight of course

"What should I do? Was recommended to do just the 2 upper days of 531 but then what for the rest ? Or should I move on to another routine for the time being to continue lifting ? "

You should train what is trainable - do what you can on the lifts you can do. Make sure you are rehabbing. That’s about as simple and straightforward as you can get.

Thanks, I enjoy the routine too much to stop… but for the time being I’ll lay off the Deadlifts, go thro the steps guided by physical therapy and get back to it when I can… at a lower weight.

[quote]m0nkeh24 wrote:
Thanks, I enjoy the routine too much to stop… but for the time being I’ll lay off the Deadlifts, go thro the steps guided by physical therapy and get back to it when I can… at a lower weight.[/quote]

And when ready maybe give the hex bar a try? Seems to be less aggravating for me anyway. Good luck