531 6 Days a Week?

OK, first off, Jim, I apologize for making you angry right off the bat with this title. Same goes to the rest of you.

I know, I know, don’t fuck around with it, don’t break what isn’t broken.

But I gotta lift 6 days a week. I just do. I get the best results going 6 days a week, and I just love to be there, under the bar.

So, my question is, 531 6 days a week. Basically, it’d go…

Bench day, squat day, OHP day, deadlift day, bench day, squat day

next week

OHP day, deadlift day, bench day, squat day, OHP day, deadlift day

And so forth. You guys think I’d a-OK doing it this way?

If you get the best results lifting 6 days a week, why are you changing programs? Is your current approach no longer working?

I used the Beyond program for the better part of a year training this way and smashed a bunch of lifetime PRs. I rotated SQ, BP, SQ/DL, MP. I just squatted to TMx1 before pulling. I almost always did FSL. I added pullups, rows, upper back work, occasional back extensions and ab work.

This template is pretty well laid out in the Beyond 5/3/1 book.

You could also try the frequency project which might still be available on Jim’s site.

If you’re not already pretty experienced and strong I don’t think either of these is a good idea. It worked for me because I developed a good feel for my body and how hard to push each day.

6 days per week - no problem:

Lift 4 times per week
Devote 1 day per week to mobility or a skill
Devote 2 days per week to conditioning (one prowler/sprinting/carries, one more endurance focussed)

I’m still seeing results, as far as bodybuilding, putting on size, shaping, all that, sure, that’s still working.

But my bench has been around 300-315 for a year, my OHP moves at a crawl, and I can’t squat 315 despite the fact I’m a solid 265.

So, I’m big, but I want much bigger numbers in the strength department.

I’ll take a look at that Beyond 5.1 deal thing, see what’s up.

Now, as for lifting 4 days a week, and then coming in two other days and doing some other stuff, eh, doesn’t work like that for me. Hitting a bodypart once a week just doesn’t yield the same results for me.

[quote]CaliberWinfield wrote:
OK, first off, Jim, I apologize for making you angry right off the bat with this title. Same goes to the rest of you.

I know, I know, don’t fuck around with it, don’t break what isn’t broken.

But I gotta lift 6 days a week. I just do. I get the best results going 6 days a week, and I just love to be there, under the bar.

So, my question is, 531 6 days a week. Basically, it’d go…

Bench day, squat day, OHP day, deadlift day, bench day, squat day

next week

OHP day, deadlift day, bench day, squat day, OHP day, deadlift day

And so forth. You guys think I’d a-OK doing it this way?[/quote]

It sounds like you have your mind made up, so just do this and see what happens. I am highly doubtful that your physiological makeup is so different from everyone else that you have to lift 6 days a week or you don’t get good results.

My suspicion is that you won’t recover well from the true effort it takes to do this program correctly when doing it 6 days a week. But I would never discourage someone from trying something they believe in. Just remember that if it doesn’t work in the long run, it wasn’t the program so much as the execution of it.

Good luck.

I’m still seeing results, as far as bodybuilding, putting on size, shaping, all that, sure, that’s still working.

But my bench has been around 300-315 for a year, my OHP moves at a crawl, and I can’t squat 315 despite the fact I’m a solid 265.

Now, as for lifting 4 days a week, and then coming in two other days and doing some other stuff, eh, doesn’t work like that for me. Hitting a bodypart once a week just doesn’t yield the same results for me. [/quote]

It does not sound like lifting 6 days a week IS working for you though. At least, not in terms of your current goal of increasing your strength.

Take a look at the frequency project Jim posted on his website. I believe it is still available as a free download.

Now, as for lifting 4 days a week, and then coming in two other days and doing some other stuff, eh, doesn’t work like that for me. Hitting a bodypart once a week just doesn’t yield the same results for me. [/quote]

Bodybuilding workouts are fine if you are a bodybuilder and that’s your interest/ or size. It sounds like you want size and strength. So you will either have to cycle size x month then strength x months or IMO just work on getting as strong as possible, you muscle have no choice but to get bigger.

I think we all would be interested in your results if you throw caution to the wind and do Boring but big 12 week challenge following it to the letter. don’t piss around with it.

What have you got to lose? 12 weeks out of your year is nothing compared to 52 weeks and still being stuck at 300-315 bench, super low squat and stalled press.