530lb Reverse Band Bench, BIG PR

Here is the video from my last bench press workout

415x2, 505x2(just missing a third rep), and a 530 lb reverse band bench press PR.

These were all raw lifts. The undershirt you see in the video is a regular under armour shirt, it was cold in the garage and it helps retain warmth!

Have a Great Day!

[quote]BPGorilla wrote:

415x2, 505x2(just missing a third rep), and a 530 lb reverse band bench press PR.

These were all raw lifts. The undershirt you see in the video is a regular under armour shirt, it was cold in the garage and it helps retain warmth!

Have a Great Day!

[/quote]

so how have you done in meets-i’m assuming you compete since those are very solid numbers-

Cool lift. Is that 530 at the top? How much resistance do the bands give?

nice work. good to have more real lifters on this board

Looks strong. I am a bit fan of reverse bands as well. Big-up on taking that weight without a handoff.

I’m always impressed by presses over 405. Hope to be there in the next year or so, but that would be quite a jump.

[quote]shizen wrote:
BPGorilla wrote:

Have a Great Day!

so how have you done in meets-i’m assuming you compete since those are very solid numbers- [/quote]

Thanks for the response shizen

I do compete.
I compete mainly in USAPL (USA Powerlifting) and NASA.
Here are my lifts(on TEAM USA) competing at the IPF/NAPF North American Bench Press Championships in Aruba this past October!

Interesting you didn’t use a shirt for the first attempt, do you usually do that?
If so do you need to take warm ups after donning the shirt?
Could you detail how you go about that?
Cheers and congrats.

Awesome lifts. You look very strong.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Cool lift. Is that 530 at the top? How much resistance do the bands give?[/quote]

Thanks for the response undeadlift

Reverse Band Bench Pressing is AWESOME!
Yes it is 530 lbs at the top.
The idea with reverse band benching is to completely mimic lifting in a bench shirt. Rev Band Benching is as close as a lift to wearing a bench shirt as you can get without lifting in a shirt.
I use the Woody #5 Band Large. I purchased mine at liftinglarge.com
After lifting with the bands for well over a month now, I believe the 530 lb Bench on the video was between 420-430 lbs at the chest. The really kicker to lifting with reverse bands is how quickly the weight gets real heavy as you press further, just like a bench shirt. Explosion is a must.

I hope this helps!

[quote]robo1 wrote:
nice work. good to have more real lifters on this board[/quote]

Thanks robo1

I am real, very real.
I hope posting here is a BOFFO experience!

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Looks strong. I am a bit fan of reverse bands as well. Big-up on taking that weight without a handoff. [/quote]

Thanks Pinto

Reverse bands are an incredible tool for traing to compete inb a bench shirt. I appreciate the big-ups.
I train alone in the garage and have adapted to self hand offs. It makes it easy to handle tthe weight in competition when I get a hand off person!

[quote] Epimetheus wrote:
I’m always impressed by presses over 405. Hope to be there in the next year or so, but that would be quite a jump.[/quote]

Thanks Epimetheus

Iam hoping to be headed back into the 470’s and beyond this year.
I hope you get your 405 soon, work hard and it will fall!

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Interesting you didn’t use a shirt for the first attempt, do you usually do that?
If so do you need to take warm ups after donning the shirt?
Could you detail how you go about that?
Cheers and congrats.[/quote]

Thanks for the question Old Dax

I like to open with a strong raw lift. The first lift is the most important one, because it gets you on the board!
No I usually do not do any more warmups after putting on the shirt. I usually jump to the end of the flight when I turn in my geared attempt so I get an extra few minutes to let the shirt settle in. I do several warmup sets and get thoroughly wamred up before making any competition lifts.
I hope this helps!

[quote]Dispenser wrote:
Awesome lifts. You look very strong.[/quote]

Thanks Dispenser I appreciate the nice comment.

Have a Great Day!