T Nation

510x1 Deadlift Video Form Critique

little background, 5’9" 195 lbs. not sure what else to say…i duno if u can tell much from the angle, but im just wondering if my form is decent it seems im always super sore in just my back, not my legs when i dl. am i using too much back??

You would be well served by working on using your lats more, to keep the bar tighter to your body and to keep the middle and upper back more stable. If there was a side angle, I could see how where your shoulders are in relation to the bar; try to keep the shoulders from going in front of the bar, especially as you transition through the midpoint to lock out. That looked like a very easy pull for you.

Is this close to your 1RM? Hard to tell much from the angle but it looked like a smooth pull.

it looks like your femurs have a lot of internal rotation, open those hips more and the back issue should get better as well

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:
it looks like your femurs have a lot of internal rotation, open those hips more and the back issue should get better as well[/quote]

can you put that into easier terms? sorry, does that mean i need to widen my stance?

your biggest problem is getting off the floor. you just yank the bar up like someone who doesnt deadlift would

concentrate on pulling the slack out of the bar before you pull. start pulling 100lbs, then 200, then 300, and eventually you get to a point to where you are able to accelerate quickly up with the bar

Take this with a grain of salt because it may just be the camera angle, I can’t tell. It looks like you may be overextending your back to lock it out though.

Other than that, I think it’s a good pull and wouldn’t change a thing. It appears the bar is dragging up your thighs so I don’t know how you could get it closer to your body. I have no clue what the poster means by your femurs being internally rotated, but your stance is fine. And ripping it off the floor is personal preference. You can try “pulling the slack out” and seeing if you like it, but I don’t see the problem with the grip and rip method.

Put some weight on the bar! You’re good for 530 right now and will hit 550 in no time.

[quote]lifter85 wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:
it looks like your femurs have a lot of internal rotation, open those hips more and the back issue should get better as well[/quote]

can you put that into easier terms? sorry, does that mean i need to widen my stance?[/quote]

Push you knees out. But also widening a tiny bit wouldn’t hurt you.

[quote]lifter85 wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

can you put that into easier terms? sorry, does that mean i need to widen my stance?[/quote]

a slightly wider stance but mores twisting your thighs out. think of your inner thighs showing forward whilsts your nut sack sinks back between your legs (weird description but it works).

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

[quote]lifter85 wrote:

[quote]rehanb_bl wrote:

a slightly wider stance but mores twisting your thighs out. think of your inner thighs showing forward whilsts your nut sack sinks back between your legs (weird description but it works). [/quote]

What you mean is to angle the toes out instead of a toes straight forward stance then, with a “push the knees out” cue. Because that is what those two things do.

In general, good pull man. I agree mostly with Tedro, and I also think that your stance is great for your build, but yes put the toes a little angled out and think “knees out” just like in the squat.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

What you mean is to angle the toes out instead of a toes straight forward stance then, with a “push the knees out” cue. Because that is what those two things do.

[/quote]

not really the toes out just causes the ankle to collapse. The opening of the hips is important but preferably not with the toes pointed out more than 10-15º

No claim to expertise here, just my own personal anecdotal experience.

I used to get a crazy sore back after deadlifts, to the extent that I had to mentally brace myself to lean over/down to do anything the day after a dl workout. Then I started getting SI joint issues, which led me to find out that I had a crazy tight right hip. After much pvc pipe rolling and lots of time spent doing the piriformis stretch, I realized that in my case the tight hip was causing my back to do all the work when deadlifting, hence the crazy soreness. Now even after I’ve done one rep too many to the extent that I feel my back round it’s still only a level 1 soreness vs. a level 10 previously. Just my .02.

[quote]punnyguy wrote:

I used to get a crazy sore back after deadlifts, to the extent that I had to mentally brace myself to lean over/down to do anything the day after a dl workout. Then I started getting SI joint issues, which led me to find out that I had a crazy tight right hip. After much pvc pipe rolling and lots of time spent doing the piriformis stretch, I realized that in my case the tight hip was causing my back to do all the work when deadlifting, hence the crazy soreness. Now even after I’ve done one rep too many to the extent that I feel my back round it’s still only a level 1 soreness vs. a level 10 previously. Just my .02. [/quote]

thats good advice, but i already do full body foam rolling on the long black rumble roller at least 3x/day, and do defrancos agile 6 or whatever nearly daily. along with that i always lightly stretch after my workouts. i highly doubt it is stiffness/tightness.

[quote]lifter85 wrote:

[quote]punnyguy wrote:

I used to get a crazy sore back after deadlifts, to the extent that I had to mentally brace myself to lean over/down to do anything the day after a dl workout. Then I started getting SI joint issues, which led me to find out that I had a crazy tight right hip. After much pvc pipe rolling and lots of time spent doing the piriformis stretch, I realized that in my case the tight hip was causing my back to do all the work when deadlifting, hence the crazy soreness. Now even after I’ve done one rep too many to the extent that I feel my back round it’s still only a level 1 soreness vs. a level 10 previously. Just my .02. [/quote]

thats good advice, but i already do full body foam rolling on the long black rumble roller at least 3x/day, and do defrancos agile 6 or whatever nearly daily. along with that i always lightly stretch after my workouts. i highly doubt it is stiffness/tightness. [/quote]

have you hit mobilitywod.com hard yet? especially the hip stuff

For myself, the rumble roller (just not hard enough, pvc pipe or a hard medicine ball) and “stretching” did nothing. You’ll be amazed at the body’s ability to mask and/or compensate for super tight body parts by finding mobility from other body parts -like how people who still have tight hamstrings even with constant stretching find out they have a weak core (whatever that means) and the body is compensating by using tight hamstrings to maintain stability.

Google piriformis stretch, do it while lying on your back. In my case my hip was so tight that I could “do” the stretch sitting on a chair because my back compensated; when lying on my back, I could actually feel my back rounding as I did the stretch. Again, just my own personal experience. Btw I think your form looks fine, and the weight doesn’t even seem like a max effort for you based on your video, so great job.

^^ Mobilitywod is a great idea, Starrett is a genius in the field from all accounts.

I had a similar, actually identical situation to punnyguy.

Your pull was great. I got into the high 5’s before my back started to take a beating from the issues PG mentioned. After a few trips to the chiro and some time off deadlifting. I started back doing a lot more mobility stuff, glute activation, and really emphasizing my leg drive in the deadlift.

The pull looked quite good to me though.