50g Gold Tabs: Sign of the Times?

What you’re describing is (to my mind at least) a Hobbesian ‘state of nature’…

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
While I agree to some degree, I do not think the people buying this particular product care about market fluctuations.[/quote]
Well at only 23000 dollars a pound, I don’t think anyone with real money is going into an exchange and buying 5 of those 50 gm tablets. I see where some people could just waste some money on a tablet to feel secure, but what is 1 gm of gold going to buy you after a financial collapse? Your life? A meal?
[/quote]

It could buy your or your family’s life. [/quote]

Or it could get you killed for having it, if the dire scenario you’re envisioning comes to pass. The only thing that will be of real value will be in demand skill sets in that scenario.
[/quote]

When everything is gone this far, no amount of gold or guns will save you. Only what you know and contribute to those with the guns will save you. History has shown that in times of economic collapse, only banded groups or communities have a viable chance of survival.

Onesie’s and twosie’s are in trouble, even with shotguns and endless ammo.

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Gold is no longer a bull market. That’s why lots of people are selling at or below spot price. And investors will really be up shit creek if China decides to dump their reserves on the market - something they do periodically anyway. The funniest thing will be the gold bugs who bought at >$300 an ounce ten years or more ago and who will possibly end up with nothing for their trouble.[/quote]

And yet Asian central banks are buying gold.

[/quote]

And all the countries which are buying have inflationary problems and/or worried about the devaluation of their dollar/euro based foreign reserves.

Some even say that China wants to weaken the US Dollar by buying up massive quantities of gold.

If this is all true, why isn’t gold at 1800 bucks an oz. again?[/quote]

Has the Fed slowed down its purchase of it? That could relieve some pressure.

Still, I do not care the dollar price of gold, only how much of it I have.

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
While I agree to some degree, I do not think the people buying this particular product care about market fluctuations.[/quote]
Well at only 23000 dollars a pound, I don’t think anyone with real money is going into an exchange and buying 5 of those 50 gm tablets. I see where some people could just waste some money on a tablet to feel secure, but what is 1 gm of gold going to buy you after a financial collapse? Your life? A meal?
[/quote]

Or it could get you killed for having it, if the dire scenario you’re envisioning comes to pass. The only thing that will be of real value will be in demand skill sets in that scenario.
[/quote]

When everything is gone this far, no amount of gold or guns will save you. Only what you know and contribute to those with the guns will save you. History has shown that in times of economic collapse, only banded groups or communities have a viable chance of survival.

Onesie’s and twosie’s are in trouble, even with shotguns and endless ammo.[/quote]

This does not make sense. On one hand you say a gun won’t save my life but on the other hand it will save someone else’s life…?

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Onesie’s and twosie’s are in trouble, even with shotguns and endless ammo.[/quote]

This does not make sense. On one hand you say a gun won’t save my life but on the other hand it will save someone else’s life…?[/quote]

I think what he’s saying is that being a rugged individualist with a gun won’t save you, only having skills valuable to those groups with large numbers of armed members. Many guns over single gun.

I think what he’s saying is that being a rugged individualist with a gun won’t save you, only having skills valuable to those groups with large numbers of armed members. Many guns over single gun.[/quote]

So are we then bound to those who are skilled in brutality?

I think what he’s saying is that being a rugged individualist with a gun won’t save you, only having skills valuable to those groups with large numbers of armed members. Many guns over single gun.[/quote]

So are then we then bound to those who are skilled in brutality?[/quote]

No…don’t give up on the human race. Most people in times of duress bind together to achieve common goals, and not to go on killing sprees. Besides, we’re just fantasizing about a financial collapse not an apocalypse.

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

And again, we had a state of semi anarchy several times in the last century in Austria, and we rarely dipped into the Mad Max scenarios, though it did happen.

You could buy all you wanted, just not for the useless pieces of paper issued by ever changing “authorities”.

But, those who came out of the woodwork after the dust had cleared and had some gold, were, ahem, golden.

So are we then bound to those who are skilled in brutality?[/quote]

I don’t believe it will get anywhere near that state. We’re extrapolating extremes here. But I also don’t believe we will be trading gold as currency anytime soon either. Perhaps I’m naive, time will tell.