T Nation

500lbs Safety Squat Bar Pause Squat (Video)

This was a PR... felt pretty good.

Ballin’!

Careful with that thoracic spine flexion.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Ballin’!

Careful with that thoracic spine flexion.[/quote]

I think he’s got a handle on it, haha.

Great lift man.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Ballin’!

Thank you!

Do you mean rounding of my upper back? Any tips/cues to correct that?

Noticed any downside to ssb squats? I just got mine a few weeks ago, and I’m loving it. Tougher than straight bar squats and without the shoulder irritation. Anything to watch for in the long term?

[quote]Shakes wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Ballin’!

Thank you!

Do you mean rounding of my upper back? Any tips/cues to correct that? [/quote]

best way I’ve found so far is to push up on the handles and lock down the upper back. Still a newb with it, though. Maybe someone else can help us both out.

I round the crap out of my upperback with the SSB. I figure it’s part of the charm of the implement, as it forces the weight to really fall forward and makes you to have to correct it.

Whenever I pushed up with the handles, it allowed me to arch more, yes, but it also put the weight further behind me.

It’s similar to high bar vs low bar squatting I suppose. Consequently, I never do high bar work, and only use the SSB for it.

Odd. I feel like the weight sits farther forward, just not pressing against the back of my neck. Could be differences in SSB design. I remember reading an article from EliteFTS that said it took them awhile to get the design right because if you changed anything, it affected the feel.

I just got mine this last week from EliteFTS and have not had a chance to use it yet (competed Saturday and it came Wednesday) I am looking forward to using it and see how it will help.

I spoke with a friend of mine who has a lot of experience with the SSB and he said that to keep your upper back from rounding you could drive the handles upward as you squat down, and then pull them down slightly as you reach lockout. (similar to what T3hPwnisher)

I’m thinking of getting a SSB. The ones on EliteFTS and Rogue look good. Any recommendations?

[quote]lift206 wrote:
I’m thinking of getting a SSB. The ones on EliteFTS and Rogue look good. Any recommendations? [/quote]

I’ve been using a TDS/New York Barbells one since 2008 with no issues.

I have used a higher quality SSB once, and it definitely felt nice, but the TDS does the job.

I wouldn’t recommend the Rogue bar because the pads went on it pretty damn quick and they like rotate inside the covering and shit, I had to grab extra pads just to use it. Solid bar though.

I’ve had my elitefts bar for about a year now and I have no complaints. Nice lift that went up fast

[quote]lift206 wrote:
I’m thinking of getting a SSB. The ones on EliteFTS and Rogue look good. Any recommendations? [/quote]

I have used both the Rogue and EliteFTS bar, and for home gym use I would go with the EliteFTS SS Yoke bar. If the bar is going in a commercial facility then you may want to look at other bars simply because of aesthetics since the finish on the EliteFTS bar will start to deteriorate the first time that you use it.

If you are not in a hurry you should wait for promotions and can likely get the EliteFTS SS Yoke bar for a little over $300 shipped. Normal price is $389 + shipping and that could run you about $450 (or more depending on how far from Ohio). The bars are made by Williams Strength and drop-ship from South Carolina in case you were wondering.

[quote]Shakes wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:

I have used both the Rogue and EliteFTS bar, and for home gym use I would go with the EliteFTS SS Yoke bar. If the bar is going in a commercial facility then you may want to look at other bars simply because of aesthetics since the finish on the EliteFTS bar will start to deteriorate the first time that you use it.

If you are not in a hurry you should wait for promotions and can likely get the EliteFTS SS Yoke bar for a little over $300 shipped. Normal price is $389 + shipping and that could run you about $450 (or more depending on how far from Ohio). The bars are made by Williams Strength and drop-ship from South Carolina in case you were wondering.

[/quote]

Oh sweet, thanks for the info! I’ll wait for a sale since I can’t buy one yet. I’ll probably stick to high bar in the meantime.