T Nation

500lb Log Press

It happened.

Wow. That’s pretty much all I can say.

Hot damn.

It’s so disappointing to see the lack of response and enthusiasm from people here. I mean, I have to expect it because strongman is stupid from outsiders, but good god. 500lb log press. I don’t think you can appreciate this until you use a log yourself.

Always gold seeing Zydrunas perform.

I was going to say the same until I watched the video

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:
I was going to say the same until I watched the video[/quote]

What do you mean by that? I would have like to see Big Z hold the lockout a little longer to really show control overhead, but it looks like he got the down command, so that’s not his fault. It definitely looks legitimate to me.

Exactly. To me it looked like he may have received the down command early, but gained control just as he was about to drop it. It would’ve been a lot greater for the sport if nobody could question it.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
It’s so disappointing to see the lack of response and enthusiasm from people here. I mean, I have to expect it because strongman is stupid from outsiders, but good god. 500lb log press. I don’t think you can appreciate this until you use a log yourself.

Always gold seeing Zydrunas perform.[/quote]

It took me 5 minutes to think of anything to say. I can’t even pick that weight up let alone clean & press it!

His strength is unreal.

My favorite lift!! He is powerful. Got to get me one to add to my routine. Not the 500 pounder of course…

My personal best in the log press is a meager 200lbs. So I can barely comprehend lifting 500lbs. Amazing.

Big Z is really a living legend! He is the man when it comes to overhead pressing! What do you guys think is to expect of the competitors in February (meaning Giants Live in Doncaster including the log lift challenge)? I mean Big Z will of course be very hard to beat but there are some really good pressers aswell like Eddie Hall or Krystof Radzikowski.

Eddie Hall just got ridiculously strong in static strength events! He recently strict pressed a 207kg log without a belt, wrist wraps or elbow sleeves.

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
What do you guys think is to expect of the competitors in February (meaning Giants Live in Doncaster including the log lift challenge)?[/quote]

I think it’s an exciting time for strongman with the progress Hall is making. And with Oberst turning it into a grudge match it should be a competitive day.

Really disappointed not to have tickets for this but dithered for too long then they were sold out.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
What do you guys think is to expect of the competitors in February (meaning Giants Live in Doncaster including the log lift challenge)?[/quote]

I think it’s an exciting time for strongman with the progress Hall is making. And with Oberst turning it into a grudge match it should be a competitive day.

Really disappointed not to have tickets for this but dithered for too long then they were sold out.
[/quote]

I’m on the fence with the whole Hall/Oberst deal. On the one hand I love to see the excitement and interest building in the sport, and as former Hulk-a-maniac I appreciate hype, but I wonder if this (grudge) is the road they really should go down. I only half believe there is real animosity between them.

Where’s the grudge come from anyway? I really don’t see where Oberst stands to be able to trash talk Eddie, but I don’t follow the sport that closely.
That being said, one thing I really enjoy about strongman is that you have the top athletes in the sport competing side by side, and they’re all egging each other on to compete harder. In a sport where events are often 1 on 1, it seems like psychological warfare would be a lot more common.

I definitely agree, this will be a great strongman season! With Eddie getting just freakishly strong, Hafthor continuing his success story and with a hopefully injury free Laurence Shahlei.

On Oberst and Eddie: I first thought this rivalry would be good but now it is really getting out of hand. I have no idea what Oberst’s problem is but calling Eddie “an arsehole” and things like that it really does not fit into the sport. I really like the competitive yet friendly and respectful atmosphere that you normally see in this sport.
But on the competitive aspect of this Oberst-Hall-battle: What is Robert thinking? I really do not see him beating Eddie.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
What do you guys think is to expect of the competitors in February (meaning Giants Live in Doncaster including the log lift challenge)?[/quote]

I think it’s an exciting time for strongman with the progress Hall is making. And with Oberst turning it into a grudge match it should be a competitive day.

Really disappointed not to have tickets for this but dithered for too long then they were sold out.
[/quote]

I’m on the fence with the whole Hall/Oberst deal. On the one hand I love to see the excitement and interest building in the sport, and as former Hulk-a-maniac I appreciate hype, but I wonder if this (grudge) is the road they really should go down. I only half believe there is real animosity between them. [/quote]

Yeah I think I prefer a friendly rivalry like Sigmarsson/Capes, and when I went to watch ESM last year one of the things that impressed me most was the camaraderie between the competitors, but I have to admit that Eddie Hall has made me laugh with some of his replies on Facebook.

Was just listening to Oberst saying he doesn’t know if they’ll be able to share the same dressing room… wonder what Hall did to upset him so much?

^^^Started typing that earlier and posted to see you guys had just said the exact same thing.

He went for it, sadly didn’t get it.

Just if anyone is interested: The log lift challenge ended with a joint win from Eddie Hall, Graham Hicks and Big Z with 211kg pressed. Hicks barely missed 220kg, Hall dropped 220 on his head (looked brutal, but he was ok.). Zydrunas skipped 220 and went for 228 for a +1kg world record.

Eddie Hall won Britain’s strongest man, Mark felix got second and Krzysztof Radzikowski got third.

He did it again. Can’t we find a judge that will make him hold it for a second?

Im not going to bitch about holding it because god damn, 500lbs. The most I have ever seen anyone do is like 350 (drug free). I can get maybe 250 over my head.