T Nation

50 Years & Older

Im now 51 and have been working for five years. Started with nothing. I think this is about as good as it may get for me. Are there any older guys out there who have started traning late in life. Any input on traning hard in your fifties and beyound appreciated. The joint pain is a real killer. It really is limiting the weight I can continue to lift.

There was a man named Porter Freeman who did the Body For Life Challenge back in 1997(i know, i know, the evil Bill Phillips blah blah blah). He was just about fifty or so. He is coming out with a book about training and his experience with it all. I don’t know whether this will have any of the information/advice you’d be looking for.

The book is called “Finally Fit at 50”

Have you tried the COX-2 inhibitors?

In case you don’t know what COX-2 is: it’s an inflammation enzyme produced by the body, cyclooxygenase. Inhibition of the enzyme lessens joint pain. Do an internet search, have your doctor prescribe some.

Or if you’re adventurous, the bodybuilding mags say a little nandrolone does the trick for joint pain.

Oh, boy, Limbic, I really don’t like those COX-2 inhibitors, or NSAIDs. As with most drugs, they have side effects. And since I like the idea of increasing LBM, I particularly don’t like the fact that NSAIDs inhibit protein synthesis! I won’t use them, except for short periods of time for post-traumatic injury.

The major common side effects of NSAIDs are related to the gastrointestinal system. Some 10%-50% of patients are unable to tolerate NSAID treatment because of side effects, including abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating, heartburn, and upset stomach (dyspepsia). Approximately 15% of patients on long- term NSAID treatment develop ulceration of the stomach and duodenum. Even though many of these patients with ulcers do not have symptoms and are unaware of their ulcers, they are at risk of developing serious ulcer complications such as bleeding or perforation of the stomach.

polemid, as far as joint pain goes, if you would like to CORRECT the underlying problem versus masking the pain, I’d recommend as many of the following as you can implement:

• Fish oil (capsules or liquid) @ about 6g of combined EPA & DHA

• MSM, starting off low and working up to 5g twice a day

• Glucosamine HCl @ 1.5g per day in divided doses

• Wobenzyme at aggessive doses (higher than is on the label)

As it relates to starting to work out at 50, don’t hesitate to work with a physical therapist to identify and correct muscular imbalances. Preliminary to that (or in conjunction with), do a search of the articles here on the site by Mike Robertson & Eric Cressey.

I wish you all the best. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

I believe Louie Simmons is well into his fifties and is lifting the biggest weights he ever has - and they’re some big f-ing weights!! Granted, he is an amazing guy but there’s no reason why you shouldnt seek to progress. If you think that where you are now is the best you’ll ever get, then it probably will be, if you know what I mean.

Good luck.

By the way, are you taking glucosamine? From what I hear its a great supplement for joint health, it does not need to be cycled and has no side effects. If you’re not using it, give it a try.