50 Rep Squat

Platz would enjoy this thread…

Have you ever just put your weight on the bar and just went after it, no racking, you can stop and breath if you need to but the weight on your traps and shoulders may make that task difficult. All the way down too…I mean the load should be light enough that you can pretty much go down there and take a nap if you wanted to…but 50 reps is a lot of reps…

Did my bodyweight for 50 yesterday…granted I’m by no means a heavyweight, but it is what it is.

[quote]BantamRunner wrote:

Have you ever just put your weight on the bar and just went after it, no racking, you can stop and breath if you need to but the weight on your traps and shoulders may make that task difficult. All the way down too…I mean the load should be light enough that you can pretty much go down there and take a nap if you wanted to…but 50 reps is a lot of reps…

Did my bodyweight for 50 yesterday…granted I’m by no means a heavyweight, but it is what it is.

[/quote]

I did a drop-set from my 12 rep max (315lbs) taking off a half plate each time and doing 12 reps until I got to 135lbs for 12 reps. So thats uhh…

315lbs x 12, 275lbs x 12, 225lbs x 12, 185lbs x 12, 135lbs x 12

60 reps.

I was supposed to be doing an easy rep day… This is something I won’t do often lol

[quote]BantamRunner wrote:

[/quote]

Yep, I’ve done that… and could have gone to 70 reps, but stopped out of boredom.
This was the last day of a 30-rep squat cycle I did a few years ago. By the 9th week I was so bored of the normal 30-rep routine and decided to throw my weight on the bar and just rep out.
It was so easy because I was so well conditioned at the time.
I also never had better thigh size gain than from high rep squats. I now wish I hadn’t stopped that cycle so prematurely! I bore easily in the gym.

I may try that bodyweight on the bar again… since I weigh more now. Might be interesting… or kill me.

lol

Definetly not for the unconditioned. If you’re carring around a lot of body fat I’d imagine those BW squats would be quite a chore. Hell, just keeping the weight on your back for that long of a time can be a killer. I read somewhere on here of some Hungarian dude doing 8 minute squats…ouch.

I started with just 115 a few weeks ago and just kept bumping it up each week. Depth is the killer. Calves to hamstrings makes those quads burn and the head dizzy. Hard part is the focus. Quality reps without falling on your face get difficult as you fatigue and start sweating like a turkey on thanksgiving. The day after my traps even feel fatigued just from holding the bar.

I do love high rep squatting but havent done specific squat workouts in a while. 315 x 37 reps and 400(180k) x 25 reps are my best. Actually, i think ill soon return to them for a while. I know i can do better. I dont think id have the patience for body weight max.

Lock

[quote]lock_solid wrote:
I do love high rep squatting but havent done specific squat workouts in a while. 315 x 37 reps and 400(180k) x 25 reps are my best. Actually, i think ill soon return to them for a while. I know i can do better. I dont think id have the patience for body weight max.

Lock[/quote]

Goddamn nice work if that’s you !

Welcome to the boards.

Video or it didn’t happen. 400x25.

I remember reading somewhere that Ken Shamrock used to do bodyweight squats but instead of counting he would do timed sessions. He worked up to so many that counting was useless…If memory serves it was something like five to eight minutes at a time.

The great Olympic athlete Eric Heiden would squat 205 lbs… for 300 reps! He leg pressed 500 lbs for 100 reps! Eric weighed 185 and had 29" thighs.

300andabove… Many thanks for the compliment. That is me indeed just over a year ago. Ill fire a few new pics up in the coming weeks. All the best with your own training dude

Mr Johnson… I appreciate your skepticism but if you even stopped to look at my avatar, i think youll agree my quads look up to it. Ive never videotaped a workout in my life but ill do it next time i go for widow makers.

I did 5 sets of hack squats yesterday with 20 reps. 135X20, 225X20, 315X20, 405X20, 495X20.

My Quads were absolutely murdered…

• adam