50% of Tax Dollars Going to the Military

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I guess rather than getting into a pissing match over percentages, I will rephrase my question, why does it not bother this forum that we spend so much on the military, our social programs are a drop in the bucket. Do we have to be have to spend 8 dollars to 1 dollar in China to be superior, could we not cut it down to 4 dollars to every dollar china spends [/quote]

According to the OMB combined Social Security and Medicare expenditures were 39% of the budget compared to 23% for Military expenditures for the year 2009. So not only are social programs NOT a drop in the bucket but are much larger recipients of Federal dollars than the military.

Now if you want to question waste in the military thats another thing but your basic premise, that we spend far more on the military than social programs, is flat out incorrect, and by a large margin too.[/quote]

I asked to be corected if wrong but I do not believe our governments accounting is correct, I made a post that has it over %50 . There si a big difference between 23 and 50 percent. I do know that Iraq at 10 billion a month was not listed on the budget

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
We need a big military. Soon we will have an economic collapse. We’ll have to repudiate our foreign debts, which won’t make foreign peeps happy. Then we’ll need them here at home to maintain order – all the welfare sucks, corporate leeches, and old people who tried to make serfs out of you young folks so they could have those power chairs and free dentures aren’t going to be very happy.[/quote]

This is the only post so far that makes sense, I disagree with the premis but it makes sense

Pitbull, how do you “support” the military? and really, I am not just calling you out but everyone who makes this claim.

Did you get a yellow ribbon tattoo? or do you just mean you support all “pro-military” policy?

Seriously, how does an individual “support the military” without actually wearing a uniform?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I would actually like to see more go to veterans and funding to help them with either jobs or education when they leave the military. We owe these people alot, they deserve better treatment. [/quote]

I totally agree , I think in the future we should have a lot less of them

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Free people keep themselves free by opposing cruel government and by fighting wars directed at warmongering, bomb-building, cruel government.[/quote]

Fixed.[/quote]

double-fixed.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
Thx for the free college, rent and books, America.[/quote]

I think college should be free period, if you have the aptitude. I know more social programs . [/quote]

There is no such thing as free. You are so confused it is embarrasing to read your posts. You have to build the buildings, the labor and material costs money, you have to heat and light the buildings, those things cost money, you have to pay teachers and other UNI administrative and service workers to educate and keep the campus clean and running smoothly. These things cost money, people don’t do these things for free.

If you have the government pay for these things, all you will do is add one (or many) more thing that COSTS MONEY into the mix. A governemnt beurocracy to administer education paid for with tax dollars has to be run by people. Those people need offices to work out of and possibly cars to drive. They need benefits and retirement funds. All those things cost additional money, then you have to pay those peoples salaries. Now you also increase the workload of the administration employees at every single university, more forms need to be filled out and new records need to be kept. This costs even more money. In the end, the american public ends up paying MORE for education.

Also add in the fact that if people don’t need to pay for college directly, you will MASSIVLEY increase the enrollment. This is going to cause colleges to increase class size, lowering the effectiveness of the education. Campuses already have to turn some people down, there isn’t enough room for every person to go to college. Well I suppose the government can fix that by doubling the number of college campuses. Oh boy here we go, more buildings, more teachers, more administration, and YAY, more government employees to do the beurocracy work. Well we still need to pay for it, so Up Up Up the taxes must go.

If you care to disagree, please do what I did and paint your picture of how it would go down. I’d like to hear how exactly you think this is going to happen.

V[/quote]

Holy shit how do you argue with that :slight_smile: The point was about the military . I hope that helps you stay focused

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
why shouldnt 50% of our money go to the military, after all they keep us free…
[/quote]

Hahahahahahahahha!

No, they don’t. Seriously. They do not!! They kill people that could not care less about you and just create more animosity which just makes you less free.

Free people keep themselves free by opposing cruel government not by fighting wars directed by warmongering bomb-builders.

Freedom is the absence of coercion. That is all there is to it.[/quote]

If the situation arose where American freedom was in jeopardy the military most definitely would keep us free. Just because a direct threat to the American way of life from a foreign power hasn’t happened in a while doesn’t mean the threat isn’t there.

I would also argue since we have the ability to help others, the Afghan people for example, we should.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I guess rather than getting into a pissing match over percentages, I will rephrase my question, why does it not bother this forum that we spend so much on the military, our social programs are a drop in the bucket. Do we have to be have to spend 8 dollars to 1 dollar in China to be superior, could we not cut it down to 4 dollars to every dollar china spends [/quote]

According to the OMB combined Social Security and Medicare expenditures were 39% of the budget compared to 23% for Military expenditures for the year 2009. So not only are social programs NOT a drop in the bucket but are much larger recipients of Federal dollars than the military.

Now if you want to question waste in the military thats another thing but your basic premise, that we spend far more on the military than social programs, is flat out incorrect, and by a large margin too.[/quote]

I asked to be corected if wrong but I do not believe our governments accounting is correct, I made a post that has it over %50 . There si a big difference between 23 and 50 percent. I do know that Iraq at 10 billion a month was not listed on the budget [/quote]

Yeah don’t let the facts get in your way.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Free people keep themselves free by opposing cruel government and by fighting wars directed at warmongering, bomb-building, cruel government.[/quote]

Fixed.[/quote]

double-fixed.[/quote]

Hey, double-fixing is against the rulez. I can get the mods to ban you if you’re not careful. Then where’d you be? Stuck on one of Neptune’s moons forever.[/quote]

Haha! At least I will be free – extremely cold and bored, but free!!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
If the situation arose where American freedom was in jeopardy[/quote]

American freedom IS in jeopardy. And guess what is the root cause…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
If the situation arose where American freedom was in jeopardy[/quote]

American freedom IS in jeopardy. And guess what is the root cause…[/quote]

I’m not arguing American freedom isn’t in jeopardy, but it isn’t the military that is the threat.

Hahahahahahahahha!

No, they don’t. Seriously. They do not!! They kill people that could not care less about you and just create more animosity which just makes you less free.

Free people keep themselves free by opposing cruel government not by fighting wars directed by warmongering bomb-builders.
[/quote]

And how do you oppose cruel governments from taking control? Seriously, how do you suggest you do that?

Good thing I cant even think of an example of where this might have occured …oh wait, maybe Iraq? Maybe Afghanistan?

Spend some time over there, and ask them what they think the definition of freedom is. Ask them if they are happier now that Sadaam is out of power and dead.

And actually, we kill people who want to kill YOU, because they despise your way of life and your beliefs. We also protect your right to speak your mind, and all the other freedoms you take for granted.

should be 100%. Then when there is enough weapons and no work anymore for the engineers, drop all the bombs on other countries and start building again

Pitbull, how do you “support” the military? and really, I am not just calling you out but everyone who makes this claim.

Did you get a yellow ribbon tattoo? or do you just mean you support all “pro-military” policy?

Seriously, how does an individual “support the military” without actually wearing a uniform?[/quote]

That’s a good question Lifty. I always considered someone “supporting the military” was someone who helped me uphold my oath to support and defend the Constitution. In other words, they voted the right way. I guess that cuts out about 90% of those that claim to support the military on both the left and right.

mike

[quote]smithers584 wrote:

And actually, we kill people who want to kill YOU, because they despise your way of life and your beliefs. We also protect your right to speak your mind, and all the other freedoms you take for granted.
[/quote]

Hey Lifty, don’t you just love it when people assume you’re some shithead who never wore a uniform? For some reason a lot of conservatives treat the military the way liberals treat blacks and assume we must all think alike.

mike

And how do you oppose cruel governments from taking control? Seriously, how do you suggest you do that?
[/quote]

By not participating in it.

It is really simple because essentially it is nothing more than ideas that shape the way people behave.

If people can be made to believe in certain ideas then it can happen just as easily as slavery was ended with the idea of the inherent right to life and liberty of all people – and not because of wars they were made to fight to oppose it.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

[/quote]

Hey Lifty, don’t you just love it when people assume you’re some shithead who never wore a uniform? For some reason a lot of conservatives treat the military the way liberals treat blacks and assume we must all think alike.

mike[/quote]

I know, right!

I forgot Colors this morning…there I said it. I am one unpatriotic mofo, too!

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

[/quote]

mike[/quote]

What the fuck is this supposed to mean?