50% of Tax Dollars Going to the Military

I would actually like to see more go to veterans and funding to help them with either jobs or education when they leave the military. We owe these people alot, they deserve better treatment.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
1st off, where did you get that 50% figure?

[/quote]

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
Thx for the free college, rent and books, America.[/quote]

I think college should be free period, if you have the aptitude. I know more social programs . [/quote]

why should anything be free? once you do that you devalue it. Its the reason you have a crap load of retarded bussiness majors and libral arts people complaining they cant get a job even with a college degree… guess what, they didnt belong there and if they had been paying they would have taken it a lot more serious…

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

I think college should be free period, if you have the aptitude. I know more social programs . [/quote]

There is no such thing as free. You are so confused it is embarrasing to read your posts. You have to build the buildings, the labor and material costs money, you have to heat and light the buildings, those things cost money, you have to pay teachers and other UNI administrative and service workers to educate and keep the campus clean and running smoothly. These things cost money, people don’t do these things for free.

If you have the government pay for these things, all you will do is add one (or many) more thing that COSTS MONEY into the mix. A governemnt beurocracy to administer education paid for with tax dollars has to be run by people. Those people need offices to work out of and possibly cars to drive. They need benefits and retirement funds. All those things cost additional money, then you have to pay those peoples salaries. Now you also increase the workload of the administration employees at every single university, more forms need to be filled out and new records need to be kept. This costs even more money. In the end, the american public ends up paying MORE for education.

Also add in the fact that if people don’t need to pay for college directly, you will MASSIVLEY increase the enrollment. This is going to cause colleges to increase class size, lowering the effectiveness of the education. Campuses already have to turn some people down, there isn’t enough room for every person to go to college. Well I suppose the government can fix that by doubling the number of college campuses. Oh boy here we go, more buildings, more teachers, more administration, and YAY, more government employees to do the beurocracy work. Well we still need to pay for it, so Up Up Up the taxes must go.

If you care to disagree, please do what I did and paint your picture of how it would go down. I’d like to hear how exactly you think this is going to happen.

V

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

why should anything be free? once you do that you devalue it. Its the reason you have a crap load of retarded bussiness majors and libral arts people complaining they cant get a job even with a college degree… guess what, they didnt belong there and if they had been paying they would have taken it a lot more serious…

[/quote]

In my view some of the people that can afford an education are not the people best suited for an education. AZ out of state tuition is eighty grand.

AS far as worthless liberal arts studies I tend to agree with that, America needs engineers, nurses and many other vocations that require a higher level of education

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I would actually like to see more go to veterans and funding to help them with either jobs or education when they leave the military. We owe these people alot, they deserve better treatment. [/quote]

I agree. We don’t return the favor to soldiers who have risked life and limb for this country nearly enough. But I think these benefits should only go toward soldiers who have served in a combat zone or were stationed in one.

I have a roommate who gets 4400 a month, tax free every month for being in the Navy, yet he never served anywhere near a combat zone. In fact, to hear it from him, he spent most of his time in the Navy shooting Indonesian speed. I think there is something wrong with him getting free money, free benefits and so on without ever having to serve in a combat zone. Half of what he gets should go to the members of the Navy who did serve in a war theater of some sort and the other half could go toward, well pretty much anything else.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I would actually like to see more go to veterans and funding to help them with either jobs or education when they leave the military. We owe these people alot, they deserve better treatment. [/quote]

I agree. We don’t return the favor to soldiers who have risked life and limb for this country nearly enough. But I think these benefits should only go toward soldiers who have served in a combat zone or were stationed in one.

I have a roommate who gets 4400 a month, tax free every month for being in the Navy, yet he never served anywhere near a combat zone. In fact, to hear it from him, he spent most of his time in the Navy shooting Indonesian speed. I think there is something wrong with him getting free money, free benefits and so on without ever having to serve in a combat zone. Half of what he gets should go to the members of the Navy who did serve in a war theater of some sort and the other half could go toward, well pretty much anything else.[/quote]

How does he get that type of money? Is he disabled, still on active duty, or just lucky?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
First off fuck you.secondly why shouldnt 50% of our money go to the military, after all they keep us free.

Why doesnt anyone start shooting stock market exec’s, or washington fatcats.WHy dont more people bitch and complain about welfare and the poeple who collect.I think if your gonna collect welfare and make no effort to find a job the government should be able to make you sterile so you cant bring another burden into this country.[/quote]

Wow , I would look into that anger , and your insight is mind numbing to say the least[/quote]

ouch, that really hurts old man.I take it you werent in the military nor do you support it.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

I have a roommate who gets 4400 a month, tax free every month for being in the Navy, yet he never served anywhere near a combat zone. In fact, to hear it from him, he spent most of his time in the Navy shooting Indonesian speed. I think there is something wrong with him getting free money, free benefits and so on without ever having to serve in a combat zone. Half of what he gets should go to the members of the Navy who did serve in a war theater of some sort and the other half could go toward, well pretty much anything else.[/quote]

How does he get that type of money? Is he disabled, still on active duty, or just lucky?[/quote]

I’m not exactly sure how he gets that much. He’s not disabled and he’s not on active duty. All I know is that he was honorably discharged and that he has to be in school to continue to receive as much as he does. So this fucker, who just turned 37, has been taking the bare minimum amount of units at a JC in order to keep the govt cheese coming. I know he’s not a typical case, but I get a little pissed off when I come home from work everyday and he’s cleaning up his new dirtbike or getting ready for another fishing trip to Oregon that my tax dollars are basically paying for. Even if he were to get a job, as long as he makes less than x amount, he gets the 4400 every month.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

He is not getting free money, he is getting the benefits he accrued while earning a below market salary while on active duty.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
First off fuck you.secondly why shouldnt 50% of our money go to the military, after all they keep us free.

Why doesnt anyone start shooting stock market exec’s, or washington fatcats.WHy dont more people bitch and complain about welfare and the poeple who collect.I think if your gonna collect welfare and make no effort to find a job the government should be able to make you sterile so you cant bring another burden into this country.[/quote]

Wow , I would look into that anger , and your insight is mind numbing to say the least[/quote]

ouch, that really hurts old man.I take it you werent in the military nor do you support it.
[/quote]

No kidding. I was in the Marines, and my paycheck still comes from either the DoD or DOE doing nat. security related consulting… that said…

…we spend way too much on the military industrial complex… and you get all these so-called “fiscal conservatives” who won’t touch that “more sacred than sacred” military budget (and the other 50% of it that’s off budget).

Seriously, we’re never going to “cut” government spending, and the size and scope of federal government without both cutting entitlement/social programs AND taking a hacksaw to military spending.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I guess rather than getting into a pissing match over percentages, I will rephrase my question, why does it not bother this forum that we spend so much on the military, our social programs are a drop in the bucket. Do we have to be have to spend 8 dollars to 1 dollar in China to be superior, could we not cut it down to 4 dollars to every dollar china spends [/quote]

Social programs a “drop in the bucket”?

Welfare, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid accounted for 56% of the 2009 Federal Budget.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/Fy2009spendingbycategory2.png

Over 60% of the US budget is spend on entitlement programs such as welfare, Medicare and Medicaid, the actual numbers spent on the military is much lower. The thought that the US spends that much on its military comes from the Reagan era, when Reagan increased military spending by about 200 billion a year over the course of three years, (82-85 I believe), this was a 60% increase to military spending at the time. Since the Reagan administration the amount spent on the US military has never decreased in number, but has decreased in the percentage of the US Budget spent on the military.

And OP, Fuck off buddy, my nine years in the military has paid for my schooling, and given me the opportunity to succeed where the rest of my family did not. If you want to live in a place where they don’t spend money on the military you are SOL, almost every nation on earth has a military (except Liechtenstein and Monaco few more maybe). The US military might not always be right in how we approach a situation, but it is a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

How does he get that type of money? Is he disabled, still on active duty, or just lucky?[/quote]

I’m not exactly sure how he gets that much. He’s not disabled and he’s not on active duty. All I know is that he was honorably discharged and that he has to be in school to continue to receive as much as he does. So this fucker, who just turned 37, has been taking the bare minimum amount of units at a JC in order to keep the govt cheese coming. I know he’s not a typical case, but I get a little pissed off when I come home from work everyday and he’s cleaning up his new dirtbike or getting ready for another fishing trip to Oregon that my tax dollars are basically paying for. Even if he were to get a job, as long as he makes less than x amount, he gets the 4400 every month.[/quote]

Ok, so since he is 37 I am assuming he did not put in 20 years to get his pension from the government. My grandmother recieved money from the government for a really long time because her husband, my grandfather which I never met, died from a WWII related injury, Battle of Saint Lo. He took shrapnal spelling through the heart. He lived another 11 years and died while having surgery to fix his heart. I want what is best for all vetrans, because they protect me my freedoms. “All gave some, but some gave All.”

I would like so say thank you to all people here that have served in the military.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
why shouldnt 50% of our money go to the military, after all they keep us free…
[/quote]

Hahahahahahahahha!

No, they don’t. Seriously. They do not!! They kill people that could not care less about you and just create more animosity which just makes you less free.

Free people keep themselves free by opposing cruel government not by fighting wars directed by warmongering bomb-builders.

Freedom is the absence of coercion. That is all there is to it.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
why shouldnt 50% of our money go to the military, after all they keep us free…
[/quote]

Hahahahahahahahha!

No, they don’t. Seriously. They do not!! They kill people that could not care less about you and just create more animosity which just makes you less free.

Free people keep themselves free by opposing cruel government not by fighting wars directed by warmongering bomb-builders.

Freedom is the absence of government. That is all there is to it.[/quote]

Well said.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

[/quote]

I suport our military , I think it should be pared down

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

I suport our military , I think it should be pared down[/quote]

Commie terrorist.