50% 1RM On CW's SOB Workout

I’m currently on Chad Waterbury’s SOB routine.

It’s killer to say the least.

But my question is this:
His loading parameters get me at 80-84% max and 50-54% max.

For 10x3 it’s 80% max, and I set 205lb on bench for example… i know that is pretty close to my 80% max and i’m able to do it.

But for 2x30 at 50% max, I haven’t been able to do my 50% max, I tried all this week and i always have to take a 5 second break at about 20 reps, then finish the other 10. Then the second set is like 15reps 5s rest, 8 reps 5s, 7reps then rest.

My question is this… is the 50% 1rm just an approximation for what he is asking, or is it showing that i have poor muscular endurance?

Could be that you have poor muscular endurance, could be that you are really fast twitch dominant. 50% is just his approximation of what most people need. For some people 50% isn’t enough weight for 2x30 for some it is too much weight. Use less if you need to

Do you have a link to the workout?

All of Chad’s percentages are a place to start. My 30 reps is more pathetic than yours! :slight_smile: I’m using like 30% of my 1rm. He is doing a general guidline for the general T-Nation reader. Being fast twitch dominate is not a bad thing and this type of training will produce a lot of muscle for you being that you are so fast twich dominate.

[quote]ShaneM686 wrote:
I’m currently on Chad Waterbury’s SOB routine.

It’s killer to say the least.

But my question is this:
His loading parameters get me at 80-84% max and 50-54% max.

For 10x3 it’s 80% max, and I set 205lb on bench for example… i know that is pretty close to my 80% max and i’m able to do it.

But for 2x30 at 50% max, I haven’t been able to do my 50% max, I tried all this week and i always have to take a 5 second break at about 20 reps, then finish the other 10. Then the second set is like 15reps 5s rest, 8 reps 5s, 7reps then rest.

My question is this… is the 50% 1rm just an approximation for what he is asking, or is it showing that i have poor muscular endurance?[/quote]

Matt: I’m not sure i can post workouts from his book(legality of it)

Standing Tall: Ya, it seems 30-40% would be a more accurate % for me as well.