5 Year Old Boxer

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
This kid looks great, but he’s not taking blows to the head right? Someone assure me that he’s just punching the mits or a heavy bag and not taking actual blows to the head.

Although I doubt he is, they start kids fighting pretty early… I’m sure his first fight will be within the next few years

If he’s 5 years old now he’ll actually be in a boxing ring fighting by the time that he’s 8 years old? That is just not good for a developing brain. I’m all for teaching kids how to strike, move and train. But when it comes to having an 8 year old take repeated blows to the head that’s just absolutely wrong.

These kids aren’t getting hit by grown men, they’re getting hit by other kids. The damage that can be inflicted from one 8 year old to another is minimal at best, no matter how well trained that 8 year old is.

The punches of course are not anywhere near the force of an adults punch. But, then again at that age their head and brain etc. are much smaller as well. I would wager that an 8 year olds developing brain does not need much to rock it. It’s a very bad idea any way you slice it.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea that kids are training and learning how to strike, move etc. But…that’s where it should end for now.

[/quote]

Playing football as a 5 year old probably is not the ‘best’ for a developing brain either yet millions of kids do it. He’ll have headgear so its not that bad. If he wants to be a professional boxer he is going to have some head damage, its part of the game. Yet its his choice, and he can become very good at it since he has shown he already has some great skill so young.

You seem like one of those over protective parents that has their kids play outside in full protective gear.

He is enjoying what he does, kids play rough. He will be fighting other young kids, and have supervision. You honestly think his parents would let him get seriously injured and push him to the extreme? Have you ever sparred? You don’t go 100% or even close, he will just do it mostly to get the hang of fighting.

Hell kids are playing football younger, full contact and are breaking bones and getting concussions and they turn out fine even stronger then the kids that don’t.

The fact is the best athletes start young, pushing themselves hard thats what it takes to be a professional.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
What does playing outside have to do with placing a 7 year old child in a boxing ring so that he can take repeated blows to the head?[/quote]

hah you make it seem like the kid is getting punched full force by an adult over and over, thats not what will happen you obviously were picked on when you sparred.

Totally different scenario, and irrelevant.

Those sports you listed take more impact to the head, repeatedly. They also have a higher chance of injury then boxing.

So now all parents who have their kids train from an early age are child abusers? yeah…

I did when I was 12 against adults, it was not repeated blows to the head at all and the hits I did receive were not crushing blows.

Ever wonder how marital artists break huge cinder blocks? Yeah they break their bones repeatedly so they grow stronger.

[quote]Again if you had read my previous post…I have no problem with learning to strike, move and learn the basics. My problem is with having kids who are only 7 years old take repeated blows to the head. If you don’t have a problem with that your obviously either not a parent or a really, really bad one.

Which is it?[/quote]

The kid will not take repeated beat downs in the ring, thats retarded for even assuming that. He is a star pupil they are not going to risk his health since he has such a bright future.
[/quote]

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
He’s a kid therefore a childs blow will mean the same thing. You ought to be able to figure that one out.[/quote]

Do you box? You will realize they are not standing there taking full shots to the head if you did. All the best boxers ever started very young. I guess they should have played inside where its safe, instead of developing skills that made them millionaires.

I’m not going to bother looking up any crap like that is obvious, huge dog piles and full contact sports cause more injuries then sparring. Ever wonder why most boxers don’t get as many injuries as professional football players? Go to any emergency room on a friday night during football season, you’ll most likely see some kid in there injured from a game.

[quote]Are you kidding me?

Your reading comprehension needs a little shot in the arm. Less gym time more reading.

Where did I say that?

My point is obvious to everyone else. There are parents who abuse their kids. So…your blind trust in the parents is foolish. You act as if it’s okay as long as the parents say it’s okay. Ha ha…[/quote]

It’s ok as long as the kid is ok with it, especailly when its safe and he has so much talent in it. I guess if you had a kid who was enjoying painting and was amazing at it you would not encourage him to do it since it would be abusive.

haha Dennis Rogers is nearly 50 and has been putting insane damage on his hands and breaking things most would consider inhuman for years. Guess what he has some of the strongest bones, and ligaments in the world. No health problems whats so ever.

Yeah I bet your kids are professional athletes making millions, oh wait with your attitude they have probably never even touched a weight set because of fear of hurting themselves.

[/quote]

In Thailand you take fucking head kicks at the age of 8 (and you start training before that) every weekend and you live off of rice and water.

how did we in America ever become such pussies?

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
In Thailand you take fucking head kicks at the age of 8 (and you start training before that) every weekend and you live off of rice and water.

how did we in America ever become such pussies?[/quote]

It’s one of the biggest reasons why compared to the rest of the world we suck at strength sports, and fighting. Too things that require a lot of pain early on.

If you have children, then you should be well aware that some just choose certain paths.

I can already see my eldest loves using his brain. He likes playing and his gymnastics and mucking about outside but he really enjoys his time alone constructing things, building things, making and creating things. That’s him.

The younger one is a balls to the wall energy ball. Absolutely full of natural athleticism and the energy and strength to match.

He loves boxing, kicking, wrestling even at the age of 23 months and has loved it since he was 18 months.

I bought him a little air filled bag and he punched it so much he burst it.

Whenever I grab my gym bag he sooks and sooks and sooks until I agree to take him with me. He’ll leave the world behind just to be in the gym or around fights.

Do you think I’m going to be able to steer him away from fighting? Maybe but I’m certainly not going to make it my life mission to. If he loves it, and he wants it then I will encourage him and steer him safely until he is ready.

Roy Jones jnr is one such person who from a young age just loved the whole scene and so he was like glue to his dad.

You just can’t assume every child is going to respond and the best way to raise children so that they don’t have any issues in their later lives is to give them some degree of respect and trust in their own abilities. You don’t have to throw them in a pit and make them fight their way out but you also don’t have to put them in a bubble.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

Didn’t they invent the computer, the airplane, antibiotics and the ipod in Thailand?

I guess not, but they have a thriving child prostitution trade.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:

how did we in America ever become such pussies?

Didn’t they invent the computer, the airplane, antibiotics and the ipod in Thailand?

I guess not, but they have a thriving child prostitution trade.

[/quote]

same could be said about china, but hey they are the rising superpower in the world.

I am not an expert or qualified in anyway to discuss sports training from a position of expertise, but from my readings of Soviet literature and many other high level coaches there is a serious problem with specializing young athletes too early; they will never reach as high of a peak as they are capable of.

5 years old is MUCH too young in my opinion for kids to be focusing on boxing. Yes, the Thai’s start very young, but it is way out of poverty for them, and by the time they hit their 20’s they usually are past their prime and retired.

Your attacks on people based on age are fucking pathetic and make you sound like a little bitch. Whether you are right or not in this instance you clearly sound like some whiny little shit that hides behind a desk and nitpicks people to death because he doesn’t have the balls to do anything else. People like you need a few shots to the head at a young age because you just come off as so obnoxious and pretentious when you speak.

That kid has some really sharp punches, I’m impressed. The only thing with being that good that young is you don’t really have anywhere to go but down. It is kind of hard to keep the focus to keep doing the things that got you that good.

I’ve seen some kids who were great at karate but as they got older their peers started catching up. The best thing is to use the discipline the kid has gained from the training and channel it into something else where he doesn’t have to get his head knocked off.

Like getting good grades in school. It also keeps the training fun when it’s not quite so competitive.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:

Yeah but in Thailand there are other “professions” they start kids that age and younger in that make the life of a Thai fighter look easy and safe. Grinding poverty makes people do desperate things. It is something to bear in mind when looking at how they train over there. A lot of those Thai fighters are washed up by age thirty and they average a dead fighter every 3 months.