5 x 5?

What is everyones opinions about a 5x5 routine? To me it seems pretty basic, but everyone who has used it seems to make good gains on it.
Thanks
Will42

I like 5x5, works well for me in a rotation with 10x3, 8x3 and 4x6 ala Waterbury.

5x5 good. Me get strong. Heavy weights enjoy.

I have seen great results. Just started mixing the intensity of my workouts as following. For example:
flat bench 5X5 heavy
then incline bench 2X15 at about 65% then decline flys 3X10 75 - 80%
I have had good results so far

Probably the best thing you can do.

It’s very good for getting stronger; check out CP’s “Training with Maximum Weights” article for more info.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459298

How do most of you guys do it though, in terms of loading? I used to always do 5 sets of 5 at the same weight, looking to hit all 5, but Dan John’s article a little while back said this was a bad idea. Thoughts?

Great for some size and strength…

Classic set/rep scheme for size and stregth! can’t go wrong!

J

54321 is good too, to change it up.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
How do most of you guys do it though, in terms of loading? I used to always do 5 sets of 5 at the same weight, looking to hit all 5, but Dan John’s article a little while back said this was a bad idea. Thoughts?[/quote]

I don’t think Dan said it is a bad idea. He suggested some alternatives, which may work better for trainees who alredy did a few simple 5x5 cycles. I don’t think that anyone who hasn’t tried the basic 5x5 should immediately jump to advanced variants. Also, if someone is progressing with basic 5x5 protocol, why change it after 2-3 months if it still works?

Particulary interesting version of 5x5 workout is Glenn Pendlay’s, which you can find on the Internet as “8 week squat program”. It was also posted here some time ago.

I like 5x5. It’s simple and effective

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
5x5 good. Me get strong. Heavy weights enjoy.[/quote]

Me get big. Big is good. That is all.

[quote]Hatebreeder wrote:

deanosumo wrote:
5x5 good. Me get strong. Heavy weights enjoy.[/quote]

perhaps it detracts from mental acuity?

Bastard

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
Hatebreeder wrote:

deanosumo wrote:
5x5 good. Me get strong. Heavy weights enjoy.

perhaps it detracts from mental acuity?

Bastard[/quote]

Sometimes sacrifices must be made…

go 5x5 then 5x3 then back to 5x5

PS this isnt a secret. lots of people make great gains with this stength comes first and eventually weight will follow.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think we (including myself) often get caught up in diffenrt varities and schemes of training that we all dont see that all the rivers lead to the sea, so to speak.
Thanks
Will42

“Particulary interesting version of 5x5 workout is Glenn Pendlay’s, which you can find on the Internet as “8 week squat program”. It was also posted here some time ago.”

I was actually going to start this tommorow, I am fairly excited abou it. Has anyone tried it? I suggested it to my friend and he quite after 2 weeks…not enough curls… I pray for him.
Will42

glen pendlay has posted around the net one of the most well thought out and effective 5 x 5 programs you will come across… its really worth looking for if you are interested in 5 x 5