5 Theories That Will Make Your Head Explode

It’s Friday, mid summer. Everyone is off today except me.

This was kind of a fun read to pass the day.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/2008/08/07/5-scientific-theories-head-explode/

Wow that was nicely mind blowing.

Wow.

…Wow.

“At some point half of you was an egg in your Mother�??s womb. That egg existed in her body from the day she was born. And a long, long time ago, she too was an egg in her Mother�??s womb, who had that egg ready for use from the moment she squirmed out of your Great Grandma�??s nethers. The point being, technically speaking, there�??s no break in the chain of existence, no time when you are not a life form of at least the most rudimentary sort. Your family, at least on your Mother�??s side, could theoretically be considered an immortal, constantly-regenerating organism.”

Is that shit for real? When women are born they have all the eggs they will ever have? Ok, that blows my mind and proves that women are probably aliens.

That’s some good stuff. Quantum physics is a real mind f*ck. Anybody who likes this stuff should read “In Search of Schroedinger’s Cat”. Good book on quantum physics, it boggles the mind.

This is the kind of stuff that always blows my mind:

[i]Right now, on your computer screen, are approximately 10,000 galaxies.

Each of those galaxies contains anywhere from ten million to one trillion stars.

The average star is roughly a million times the size of Earth.

And yet, with all that junk, the Universe is more than 90 percent empty space.

All of that, in this tiny photo. A photo that took 400 orbits and 800 exposures to take.

And the kicker? The photo covers one thirteen-millionth of the entire night sky.[/i]

HAHAHAHA!!!

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Is that shit for real? When women are born they have all the eggs they will ever have? Ok, that blows my mind and proves that women are probably aliens. [/quote]

Fucking agreed!

Interesting, but their explanation of the copenhagen interpretation seems off. Schrodinger’s cat was used to show the PROBABILITY that it is dead, or alive, and how that as long as we don’t KNOW what happened, we can express the entire situation using a psi wave function.

However, once we open the box this function is no longer valid. The entire situation was meant to show the ridiculousness of the copenhagen interpretation being applied to everyday objects, not to show how it actually happens.

Of course, you could always just kick the box and see if it meows.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
This is the kind of stuff that always blows my mind:

[i]Right now, on your computer screen, are approximately 10,000 galaxies.

Each of those galaxies contains anywhere from ten million to one trillion stars.

The average star is roughly a million times the size of Earth.

And yet, with all that junk, the Universe is more than 90 percent empty space.

All of that, in this tiny photo. A photo that took 400 orbits and 800 exposures to take.

And the kicker? The photo covers one thirteen-millionth of the entire night sky.[/i][/quote]

Word. Seriously, how do you comprehend that? You can’t, we don’t have any frame of reference to understand the math involved.

Im looking forward to reading this as soon as I get back from the gym.

I liked this:

For every action you’ve ever taken, every movement you’ve ever made, even down to the atomic level, there’s a parallel universe out there where you did something else instead. Anything else.

Instead of learning guitar, you burst into flames. Instead of opening the fridge, you freebased black tar heroin. Instead of nude rock climbing, you went nude bungee jumping. Instead of reading this article, you worked productively and got a handsome raise.

Think about it: in some parallel universe out there, you and your high school sweetheart are making hot, reconciliatory love atop Bob Feeney’s smoldering corpse after you killed a laser-breathing velociraptor with your bare hands.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
I liked this:

For every action you’ve ever taken, every movement you’ve ever made, even down to the atomic level, there’s a parallel universe out there where you did something else instead.

Anything else. Instead of learning guitar, you burst into flames. Instead of opening the fridge, you freebased black tar heroin. Instead of nude rock climbing, you went nude bungee jumping. Instead of reading this article, you worked productively and got a handsome raise.

Think about it: in some parallel universe out there, you and your high school sweetheart are making hot, reconciliatory love atop Bob Feeney’s smoldering corpse after you killed a laser-breathing velociraptor with your bare hands. [/quote]

So, at least in theory, there’s hope for Neph?

Somewhere?

I’ve heard this stuff before in different contexts, so I can’t help but think that the internet humor detracted from the affect of these theories.

I’m just being a downer though.

I think many of these theories are incomprehensible when applied to real world situations. Also, this stuff can get even more mind numbingly complex when you consider it from metaphysical angles.

Makes for great conversation :smiley:

[quote]Flow wrote:
I’ve heard this stuff before in different contexts, so I can’t help but think that the internet humor detracted from the affect of these theories.

I’m just being a downer though.

I think many of these theories are incomprehensible when applied to real world situations. Also, this stuff can get even more mind numbingly complex when you consider it from metaphysical angles.

Makes for great conversation :smiley:

[/quote]

I am going to apply these theories to a conversation when meeting a new girlfriends parents.

Awesome stuff.
I loved the humor, lol.

Physics made really simple and easy to understand + swearing and violence and sex = awesome.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Tyler23 wrote:
I liked this:

For every action you’ve ever taken, every movement you’ve ever made, even down to the atomic level, there’s a parallel universe out there where you did something else instead.

Anything else. Instead of learning guitar, you burst into flames. Instead of opening the fridge, you freebased black tar heroin. Instead of nude rock climbing, you went nude bungee jumping. Instead of reading this article, you worked productively and got a handsome raise.

Think about it: in some parallel universe out there, you and your high school sweetheart are making hot, reconciliatory love atop Bob Feeney’s smoldering corpse after you killed a laser-breathing velociraptor with your bare hands.

Somewhere?[/quote]

In theory, there is a T-Nation somewhere where Neph and Push reversed roles. head asplodes

[quote]Otep wrote:
Tyler23 wrote:
I liked this:

Somewhere?[/quote]

LOL.

Neph the pimp!

I already knew all that shit.