T Nation

'5 Principles of Radical Fat Loss' Article, High Fat?

Hi, first post on here!

Just a quick question; in John Romaniellos article https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/five-principles-of-radical-fat-loss he mentioned how to split protein, carbs and fat.

Following his calorie guide too it works out I'd need 2800 calories following this fat loss plan.

The protein and carbs seem reasonable to me but the fat comes out as around 120-140g.
This seems extremely high to me and if so, I take it you just consume tons of nuts and oils? Haha

What's everyone else's thoughts on this?

George

[quote]MrGB94 wrote:
Hi, first post on here!

Just a quick question; in John Romaniellos article https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/five-principles-of-radical-fat-loss he mentioned how to split protein, carbs and fat.

Following his calorie guide too it works out I’d need 2800 calories following this fat loss plan.

The protein and carbs seem reasonable to me but the fat comes out as around 120-140g.
This seems extremely high to me and if so, I take it you just consume tons of nuts and oils? Haha

What’s everyone else’s thoughts on this?

George [/quote]

This response might come across as a little snippy, but I don’t mean for it to be so. Your post shows that you POSSIBLY need more education on nutrition in general. Otherwise you’d see that this approach is pretty standard.

At that fat intake, it would be a 30-something percent fat diet, which is a moderate amount of fat. Some fat loss diets (and lifestyle and bulking diets) have higher.

120 to 140 grams of fat is not a ton of oil considering how easy it is to consume that much. I’ve already consumed 40 or so grams of fat from breakfast alone.

Again, you need a bit more education on the topic.

Also , what matters the most at the end of the day is total protein and total caloric amount for weight control, not carb or fat percentage.

My breakfast for the last 3 years:
1/4 cup Almonds
1/4 cup Pistachios
1/4 cup Sunflower seeds
3 tbs Chia Seeds.

Breakdown: 50 grams Fat (450c) 20 grams protein (80c) 20 grams Carb (80c) 25 grams Fiber (0c)
Total 610 calories 50% fat 25% protein 25% carb… 25 grams of fiber to blow the colon.

Overall I get about 100 grams+ good fats, 200 grams+ good protein and 100 grams+/- good carbs (ALL carbs after 5pm per day)

Abs to show for it.

Not hard to get over 100 grams (900c) of Proper Fat per day if you just do a little homework and Think About It.
(sorry, snippy).

Thanks for the replies.

Yes thinking about it, it doesn’t seem that high.
It is just a little higher than that of the ‘clean bulk’ I’ve been on lately. And in ‘clean bulk’ I don’t mean very little fat as you might assume that I mean. Haha

Thanks again

Just wanted to chime in that Roman’s program (5PoRFL) was the most successful one I had ever run. Did it for the first time in 2012 and caliper measurements on my abs went from 18.5 to 6.5. Saw my abs for the first time. I’ve run it a few more times since (doing it now) but that first one was the most successful (a lot easier to diet coming off a bulk when cals are high; something I keep forgetting).

Anyway, pour yourself into it and stick with it. I’m betting you’ll be pleased with the results. (And I get 50% of my cals from fats so don’t worry about it…as others have already said).

Good luck.

I think this my first or second post of any sort on T-Nation. Pardon the crappy body profile pics. I’m not a body building sort nor aam I used to posing. I’m 6’2 and about 242. My goal weight is about 220 but leanness is my main goal not weight loss.

I’m about three and a half weeks into my fat loss diet. This is the first time that I’ve measured and tracked my macros so I’m a newb in nutrition…sort of.
Current calories= 2690. Carbs =336 g, Fats= 90 g, Protein =AMAP or at least 200 g.

I guess I’m looking for some feedback here. Considering the above posts it appears that my fat intake is too low. Am I reading this right?

[quote]tomdline54 wrote:
I think this my first or second post of any sort on T-Nation. Pardon the crappy body profile pics. I’m not a body building sort nor aam I used to posing. I’m 6’2 and about 242. My goal weight is about 220 but leanness is my main goal not weight loss.

I’m about three and a half weeks into my fat loss diet. This is the first time that I’ve measured and tracked my macros so I’m a newb in nutrition…sort of.
Current calories= 2690. Carbs =336 g, Fats= 90 g, Protein =AMAP or at least 200 g.

I guess I’m looking for some feedback here. Considering the above posts it appears that my fat intake is too low. Am I reading this right?[/quote]

It isn’t too low. As stated, what matters FIRST is total caloric amount and total protein amount for weight loss, so long as one gets enough EFA’s. There are bodybuilders who got shredded on 10-15% fat diets.

Appreciate the feedback Brickhead! It’s not to know that I’m not off track. You’re arms look huge by the way.