T Nation

5 Percent Solution for Bench

A little background: I’ve been trying to apply Charles Poliquin’s 5% solution to my bench in an effort to increase my maximum bench in the 3-5 rep range. I may have messed up the percentages and am in need of some advice to get back on track. Below is my last 4 workouts and one you read them you will see my delimma.

Workout 1:
Flat Bench
135lbs 1 setx 10rep
225 1x10
275 1x5
315 1x7
315 4x6

Workout 2:
Flat Bench
135 1x10
225 1x10
275 1x5
315 5x5

I didn’t know if I wanted to push the envelope and shoot for the 4-6/6-8 rep range or stay in the 3-5 rep range. In the end I counted these two workouts as one and went with the 3-5 rep range for my program on the 5% solution.

Workout 3:
Flat Bench
135 1x10
225 1x10
275 1x5
315 1x1
325 5x5

325 wasn’t actually 4-5% and after the first set I just decided to pump out 5 reps for 5 sets since technically I should have increased it 12lbs 4% or 15lbs 5%. This was an indicator that maybe I set my starting weight too low to begin with?

Workout 4:
Flat Bench
135 1x10
225 1x10
275 1x5
315 1x1
340 5x4

For this workout I finnally got the percentage right, and was able to pump out 4 reps for 5 sets. My question is considering all the mishaps in my program what should be my next weight and rep scheme? My gut feeling is that I should really be on workout #3 and increase the weight by 5% and lower the reps by 1. On the other hand if I were to go back to workout #2 and use the reps from workout #1 I may have shot myself in the foot?

Either will work add 5lbs and do that or do more reps same load either way that progress

Phill

Thanks for the reply Phill. I think you mean add 5% right?

My impression of this program is that it is based on specific percentages and loading parameters to achieve the desired results. My question was that since I f_cked up the percentages and reps would it negatively affect my progress?

[quote]one2njoy wrote:
Thanks for the reply Phill. I think you mean add 5% right?

My impression of this program is that it is based on specific percentages and loading parameters to achieve the desired results. My question was that since I f_cked up the percentages and reps would it negatively affect my progress?[/quote]

I mean progress add what evr you can even if 1/2 lb its progress or one rep. In short %'s look nice but always never workout

Use them as a guidline but use you as the final decision maker
Phill

Hey could you PM me on the program, as in what it’s all about the 5% rule, or if anyone else knows. It sounds interesting.
Thanks!

dl-

[quote]dl- wrote:
Hey could you PM me on the program, as in what it’s all about the 5% rule, or if anyone else knows. It sounds interesting.
Thanks!

dl-[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459936

Here is the article. There maybe a thread that goes more into detail but this should give you the basic program.

Phill, thanks for the input. I will just go with my gut feeling.

OP,

I’ve use the 5% solution many times. If I was in your shoes I would do 3 more workouts. I would considere workout 4 and the 3rd workout and base the next three on what you did. Based on the program your next workouts would be:

WO5 325x6
WO6 340x5
WO7 355x4

[quote]Seattle_Lifter wrote:
OP,

I’ve use the 5% solution many times. If I was in your shoes I would do 3 more workouts. I would considere workout 4 and the 3rd workout and base the next three on what you did. Based on the program your next workouts would be:

WO5 325x6
WO6 340x5
WO7 355x4[/quote]

F_ck me! I didn’t catch your post before my workout, but thanks for the reply.

For workout #5, I decided to increase the weight and drop the reps by one. I guess I was being over confident! I think this week was the deal breaker, and I am really paying the price for my mistakes.

Work out #5
135lbs 1sets x 10 reps
225lbs 1x10
275lbs 1x5
315lbs 1x1
355lbs 3x2
315lbs 2x6

355lbs felt like boulders and I couldn’t get 3 reps for the life of me. On the 3rd set my second rep came up way to slow, so I decided to drop the weight to 315lbs and pump out as many reps as I could for 2 sets

I never make excuses for poor performance, but I made the stupid mistake of throwing in 3miles of cardio 2 times last week and I ran 3 miles first thing in the morning on the same day as workout #5.

f_uck me this sucks!