T Nation

5-HTP + ECY Stack

I am contemplating taking an ECY stack to supplement a cutting phase. I currently take a multivitamin, fish oil (2g 3xday), and 5-HTP (100mg 3xday). I’m taking the 5-HTP because i sometimes get the winter blues and I want to avoid that this year. I’ve researched on the web that there might be an interaction between ephedrine and 5-HTP, but I’ve been unable to find anything more than this:

Re: Ephedrine and 5-HTP
Anxiety, confusion, or other serious side effects may occur if 5-HTP is taken with prescription or over-the-counter cold remedies containing ephedrine. Use with caution.

Does anyone have any information on what dosages are potentially dangerous, how common interactions are, or how severe effects can be?

I did a google search and found the same info as you on one of the sites. However I couldn’t find anything anywhere else so that raises my bullshit flag somewhat.

Personally I don’t see the connection. 5-HTP is the precursor to serotonin which isn’t involved with the dynamics of ephedrine in the body as far as I see.

Tyrosine I could see possibly, but it wouldn’t cause the ephedrine to be dangerous, it would just increase it’s efficacy somewhat since it’s providing more of the building blocks downstream.

It’s possible the author made a mistake and listed the wrong precursor as being a problem. Since both 5-HTP and tyrosine are precursors to the major neurotransmitters the author may have made a mistake. I’ve seen it done with respect to anti-depressants.

So in conclusion I’d say don’t worry about it. Start with small doses and work your way up. However I’m not a doctor in real life, I just play one on the internet. :slight_smile:

I was wondering how effective supplementing with 5-HTP has been. Also, where did you buy it as well as how much did it cost? Thanks.