5 Hours of Sleep

I’d like to roll just on that, (5 hours of sleep), opinions?
Is this doable with polyphasic? Over the summer, I got by on 5 hours with three 15 or two 20 minute naps a day. Altho, I did feel like I was eating alot more perhaps because of it.

Is this possible to maintain, is it healthy?

Being able to sleep more than 2 times a day… How would you implement that in a working situation?

I go to bed about 11:30PM and get up to go to the gym at 5:30 ( get to the gym by 6:30) and I don’t take naps and I need to lay down in bed at about 10:45 to fall asleep by 11:30.

I’m not trying to sound big, but I do think we are each different and that it’s just natural for me to sleep only 6 hours.
I’m 37 and by this age my dad was falling asleep on the sofa watching the nightly news so I actually kind of wish I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat because I think it’s better to get more if you’re an exerciser.

I think everyone is different. For me, I get really grouchy if I’m under 7hrs/night for an extended period of time. I think I “need” a lot more when I’m training harder too… but maybe that’s all in my head.

I know others who claim to be able to get by on 5-6ish hours/night. Good on them, but I can’t do it.

I can’t sleep more than 5-6 hours straight.

I generally get less than 6 hours a night. Bed about 11:15 up by 5:00. Could probably use more though.

I remember reading that the sleep cycle is ~90 minutes, and if you were to wake up between say 30-75 minutes, you’d be waking up during the deepest part of the sleep cycle, so you would feel pretty tired even tho you had slept what you think to be enough, ie sleeping 7 hours instead of 6 or 7.5 hours.
Like Nards said, it’s different for everyone, but I’ve found this to hold true for myself(getting less sleep but waking up at the right time to feel energetic, like this morning coincidentally)

Everyone is different with regards to sleep. For most people I think 5 hours is doable but not ideal/healthy. A lot of things will affect how much sleep you need (training volume, stress, lifestyle etc.). If you are going to do this I suggest make sure your diet is clean, stay hydrated, go easy on the caffeine, keep your stress levels down, maybe incorporate some meditation and/or relaxation exercises during the day.

I would also suggest you keep your training volume fairly moderate as recovery may become an issue. Hypnotherapy may also help. A post hypnotic suggestion that you will awaken feeling rested and refreshed after how ever long you sleep can have a real impact. Just remember that what we can adapt to and survive and what is best for us are not always the same, so make sure it’s worth the sacrifice.

2 naps and 5 hours, you’ll do fine, but who has that schedule?

I’ve been getting between 6 to 7 hours and that’s fine I dont think I could do less than that and be productive at work. I do take 200mg caffeine in the morning and magnesium at night which has helped me stay awake in the afternoons and better quality and deeper sleep (both which I’ve had issues with in the past).

I usually get 4-5 a night. I can operate just fine with that.
However, at least in my case, more is better. If you let me I’ll sleep 10 hours.

I don’t know how you guys do that.

If I dont get 8 I’m a piece of shit.

10 hours minimum

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
10 hours minimum[/quote]

Do you know if you have sleep apnea, or something else that obstructs your breathing?

I only ask because of the two people I know who needed that much sleep both had sleep apnea. Once they got that fixed, they were down to 7-8 hours a night.

I wish I could get by on five hours of sleep for a long period but more than a few days and I start to drag ass. So far seven hours is the least amount of sleep I can get by with on the long term.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
I usually get 4-5 a night. I can operate just fine with that.
However, at least in my case, more is better. If you let me I’ll sleep 10 hours.[/quote]

x2

Weekdays its 3-5 hours/night, weekends 5-6. I do get one or two 20 minute naps on my train commute (if I have a seat).

If noone woke me I’d dose in bed about 10 hours a day.

As others said its individual, you can either do it or your system says no way and shuts down / you get sick.

When we are in season (i’m a football coach). I operate on between 5-6 hours a night sometimes less. After games we work on Saturday and we sometimes get less than 5 hours. I seem to be fine as long as I am moving and working. Once the season is over I need no less than 7 hours. And I can feel the difference between 7 and 8 hours of sleep.

For those of you who do really well with around 5 hours of sleep a night, has it always been like that for you, or have you progressively needed less and less sleep as you age?

I’m 20 and needing 7-8 hours a night to feel ok throughout the day. Anything less than that and I feel very tired/lethargic throughout the day. Weird thing is though, come night time, i have a ton of energy and cant fall asleep until later in the night (1am) even if i had around 5-6 hours of sleep the night before.

I usually sleep for centuries.

I sleep about 5 hours on average come exam time but I do take two 40 minute cat naps during the day to and from college so I’d say that would skew things a bit.