5 Foot Olympic Bar

Just curious how much weight you can stack up on a 5 foot O bar. The standard 7 foot bar won’t really fit well in my home gym.

Can you post a link?

I’m pretty sure real olympic bars are 7 ft. Which means I’m pretty sure you’re not talking about an olympic bar.

[quote]Blacken wrote:
Just curious how much weight you can stack up on a 5 foot O bar. The standard 7 foot bar won’t really fit well in my home gym.

[/quote]

The standard Olympic bar is 7 feet, 45 pounds. But I’ve seen (and own) Olympic bars in various sizes and styles. Outside if the competitive weightlifting sport, Olympic usually refers bars compatible with plates that have a 2" hole, compared standard bars and plates that have a 1" hole.

The pic above shows Olympic style bars. I haven’t had any problems using up to 250-ish pounds on my 5-footer, but it feels solid enough to handle more.

The only thing I’ve noticed (at least on the brand I have, I think it’s Cap Barbell) is that there’s a plastic ring/spacer thing right where the bar meets the plate that sometimes comes loose, but it slides right back into place.

Which one of those is 5 ft? The black bar? That guy is really short.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Which one of those is 5 ft? The black bar? That guy is really short.[/quote]

LOL damn I didn’t even notice that until I read your post haha. He is one short mofo!

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Which one of those is 5 ft? The black bar? That guy is really short.[/quote]

I’d reckon that black bar is actually a 6-footer. They’re not common, but some companies do make them.
http://www.ivanko.com/cgi-bin/products.pl?cat=comm&subcat=bars

That reminds me, Blacken, if you get the 5-footer, make sure you weight it before you start using it so you know what you’re lifting.

Mine’s only 30 pounds, so every once in a while it messes with my head when I load certain weight on it and I get extra reps. “No, I did not get stronger overnight, I’m lifting 15 less pounds.”

That makes more sense.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

That reminds me, Blacken, if you get the 5-footer, make sure you weight it before you start using it so you know what you’re lifting.
[/quote]

That is very true. I started with the bar not weighing what I thought it weighed. Really messed me up.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:
Which one of those is 5 ft? The black bar? That guy is really short.

I’d reckon that black bar is actually a 6-footer. They’re not common, but some companies do make them.
www.ivanko.com/cgi-bin/products.pl?cat=comm&subcat=bars

Mine’s only 30 pounds, so every once in a while it messes with my head when I load certain weight on it and I get extra reps. “No, I did not get stronger overnight, I’m lifting 15 less pounds.”[/quote]

I know my gym has a short bar. I Think it may be a 5 footer, and it feels heavy as shit. I think it still is 45 pounds, just must be a weird trick the size to weight ratio plays with my brain.