5 Days a Week

Hello all,

I have been motoring around under my own program/split for some time now. The results have been satisfactory, but I’m really interested in seeing some more intense gains.

Here is my issue in a nutshell:

I live at a college where I work full time. I use the college’s gym to lift (it’s free and pretty nice). On most weekends, I go home and have no access to weights or equipment. As a consequence of this logistical configuration, I exercise five consecutive days a week and rest two. Is this a viable approach? Could this be impeding my ability to gain muscle?

I want to start a program, probably one of CW’s on this site. Are there any that would be especially suited to this schedule?

Thanks for any input,

Jedidiah

What kind of program are you doing?

If you are doing a bodypart split, then yes, it probably is feasible.

If you are doing full body, no its not.

If you are doing an upper/lower split or push/pull split you would probably be better with 2 on / 1 off / 2 on / 2 off

Waterbury has programs that will have you workout 4 days per week and some that will have you work out 3 days per week.

Read up on a few and see which ones match your goals the best.

If you want to be in the gym 5 days per week you can find some programs on the site that will do that too.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
What kind of program are you doing?

If you are doing a bodypart split, then yes, it probably is feasible.

If you are doing full body, no its not.

If you are doing an upper/lower split or push/pull split you would probably be better with 2 on / 1 off / 2 on / 2 off[/quote]

At the moment I’m doing a bodypart split, back/bis chest/tris shoulders/legs split. I want to switch to a different program and I was wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction given my schedule.

OK, big questions for you:

1. What have your results been on your split?

2. What do you consider more significant results?

3. What is the ultimate goal and are you willing to work for it?

[quote]Arioch wrote:

3. What is the ultimate goal and are you willing to work for it?[/quote]

I have been doing this split since mid April.

I went into it having never really lifted weights (goofed on machines a little). I weighed 146 (I am 5’11") or so and my lifts looked like this:

DL: 135x6
BB bench: 95x6
Squat: 95x8 (I was scared of squats- still am a bit)

Currently I weigh 164 and my lifts go:

DL: 205x4
Bench: 140x4
Squat 165x4

I would like to bench my bodyweight 8 times and squat 200 4 times by the end of the year. As for the DL, I’d like to have that up to 250 in the same amount of time. I would like to weigh 175 by then as well.

[quote]Arioch wrote:

3. What is the ultimate goal and are you willing to work for it?[/quote]

And to answer your last question more completely: I am a worker, not always a fast one, but a worker. I will gladly endure any amount of pain, frustration, and humiliation to obtain these goals. I like it when lifts hurt and I enjoy feeling sore on off days.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
Arioch wrote:

And to answer your last question more completely: I am a worker, not always a fast one, but a worker. I will gladly endure any amount of pain, frustration, and humiliation to obtain these goals. I like it when lifts hurt and I enjoy feeling sore on off days. [/quote]

As an opinionated bastard, I have to say that you are wasting your time with a body-part split (due to the fact that you are just starting out, not that body-part splits are always a bad idea). Find a good full-body routine that gets you in the gym three or four times a week. I have had great success with Waterbury’s programs, and would suggest ABBH I and ABBH II to start, and then go on to anything from TBT to Art of Waterbury, or whatever catches your attention. Right now, I’m doing Hybrid Hypertrohy, and it kicks ass.

Good luck.

OK, final question. This is the big one, what is your diet like?

By that, I mean, how much do you eat? And what is it that you are eating?

Also, do you get plenty of rest?

Swordthrower makes a good suggestion. However, those programs, or any other, will not work if you have a bad diet.

Being willing to work hard is great. The hardest part to work is the kitchen.

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
jedidiah wrote:
Arioch wrote:

And to answer your last question more completely: I am a worker, not always a fast one, but a worker. I will gladly endure any amount of pain, frustration, and humiliation to obtain these goals. I like it when lifts hurt and I enjoy feeling sore on off days.

As an opinionated bastard, I have to say that you are wasting your time with a body-part split (due to the fact that you are just starting out, not that body-part splits are always a bad idea). Find a good full-body routine that gets you in the gym three or four times a week. I have had great success with Waterbury’s programs, and would suggest ABBH I and ABBH II to start, and then go on to anything from TBT to Art of Waterbury, or whatever catches your attention. Right now, I’m doing Hybrid Hypertrohy, and it kicks ass.

Good luck.
[/quote]

I second the ABBH suggestion.

I would do the Swordthrower suggestion with one caveat: limit yourself to 3x per week on the fully body routines. Workout full body, recover full body.

See if that does anything for you.

All the best.

Alright, thanks for the input, gents.

Monday, I begin ABBH.

Anything to add to the article before I start?

Thanks