5 Day Split Too Much?

Been lifting for ~5 years now and leaning towards doing a 5 day split…something like this:

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Back/Bi’s
Wed- Shoulders/Tri’s
Thurs- Legs
Friday- Chest again

What do you guys think? Workouts would be appr 45 mins in the 12-15 rep range followed by 30 min cardio. Looking to cut from 205 to 195. Only supps are multi, protein, and fish oil. Opinions welcomed

Why go so far away from what I assume built the muscle you have while cutting?

Try to keep your strength (and muscle mass) while you cut. I don’t like high (12-15) reps while dieting.

Keep it relatively heavy (5-10 reps) and use diet and cardio to drop the fat.

BTW 5 day split… Max-OT?

…your lower body comprises half of your body, you you wanna lift it 1/5 of the time you are in the gym?

[quote]Waittz wrote:
…your lower body comprises half of your body, you you wanna lift it 1/5 of the time you are in the gym?[/quote]

I was under the impression it was pretty common knowledge that your upper body needs way more variety than your lower body. Plus, if you can really work legs multiple times a week on this sort of split, then maybe you should question how hard your working them on their given day.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
…your lower body comprises half of your body, you you wanna lift it 1/5 of the time you are in the gym?[/quote]

Does it matter that most pro bodybuilders train legs one time in 7 days?

I see nothing wrong with a 5 day split, but am curious why chest gets hit twice in a rotation.

I’ve been on a 5 day split for the last 2 months while cutting: Chest/calves, Shoulders, Back, Legs, Arms, and weekends off (carb up). You’re not going to make any real gains while cutting, so you certainly don’t want to do more training than your system can recover from.

S

I see nothing wrong with a 5 day split, but am curious why chest gets hit twice in a rotation.

I’ve been on a 5 day split for the last 2 months while cutting: Chest/calves, Shoulders, Back, Legs, Arms, and weekends off (carb up). You’re not going to make any real gains while cutting, so you certainly don’t want to do more training than your system can recover from.

S

Take it from someone who has spent the past 8 months recovering from muscle imbalances:

Do not train chest in a higher proportion to your back. Unless your back is very developed in comparision.

Will you take the weekend off? Or do you start the rotation over again on Saturday?

[quote]toddthebod wrote:
Will you take the weekend off? Or do you start the rotation over again on Saturday?[/quote]

I’d have to assume weekends are weight-free. At least I hope so.

[quote]derek wrote:
toddthebod wrote:
Will you take the weekend off? Or do you start the rotation over again on Saturday?

I’d have to assume weekends are weight-free. At least I hope so.[/quote]

In that case, I’d drop the second chest workout. If your chest is lagging, you can add a chest exercise on one or more of the other days of the split. But I question the wisdom of specializing a body part when trying to cut.

I’m with Todd, weekends off or saturday starts over, please explain? This also sounds identical to my routine except I take Wed and Sun off. So, of course I like and recommend it! Just make sure with working the muscles once per week you are really hitting them hard and getting lots of variation.

Yes, I will be taking weekends off