T Nation

5-6 Days a Week Too Much?

I was basically wondering what some of the more experienced bodybuilders thought about a beginning training 5-6 days a week. I’m currently training 5, doing 1 muscle group each day.

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - Shoulders
Thursday - Back
Friday - Arms

I was watching some show where Rob Riches was talking about people commonly training too much, and it putting a slow/stop to their muscle and strength gains. What are some of the easier-to-recognize signs that I’m overworking my body?

(I don’t think I can post the source with that Rob Riches info on the forums, but it’s on youtube. Just search “Gregory Mantell Show Rob Riches” if you’re interested)

5 days is good. May want to hit each muscle more than once every 7 days. Once every 7 works for some people but most find that more frequency with slightly less volume produces better results.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
5 days is good. May want to hit each muscle more than once every 7 days. Once every 7 works for some people but most find that more frequency with slightly less volume produces better results.[/quote]

Hmm, can you give me a very quick, general example of a beginner, 5-day, 2 muscle group/7 day routine?

ie.

Monday - x
Tues - x
Weds - x
Thurs - x
Fri - x
Sat - x
Sun - x

edit: Oh, were you referring to like, bench presses hitting both chest and tris? Yes, I do use lifts that hit more than one muscle technically, but I focus on one muscle group each day. on Mondays (my chest day) I will obv hit tris and shoulders a bit. On Thursdays (back day) I will obv hit some biceps with my exercises, too. I just don’t really focus too much on them - If that’s what you meant by training more than once a week then, yes, I think I’m doing it right haha. Sorry for the confusion.

Remember, you may just need more food/protein/sleep/post workout nutrition. Or less volume per bodypart per session.

An example could be

Day 1 Back 3 exercises maybe 4/ Triceps 2 exercises
2 Chest 3 exercises/ biceps 2 exercises
3 Legs/medial delts
4 off
5 back (1 exercise is different from day 1)/ triceps (1 different exercise
6 chest (you get the picture/ biceps
7 off
1 legs

Youd throw in something for traps, calves and abs when you see fit. And I would do different rep ranges or rest period for the isolation movements so youre not doing the same exact thing twice in a row.

There are countless ways to set up a split like this. If youre arms dominant you may want to pair back/biceps chest/tri if youre torso dominant your arms will need the extra work given in the split I wrote. If pressing for chest isn’t enough for your delts you’ll have to add in some overhead pressing somewhere.

You can also set up a 7 day plan where you hit one muscle group twice per week. Hit each muscle group in the first 4 days and the 5th day is a repeat. Do three week cycles rotating bodyparts to double up on. It’s what Im doing now but I’m doubling up on chest indefinitely and have a day just for arms in addition to doing a few sets after chest and back workouts.

How do you guys go about pairing exercises together for super sets? I’ve pretty much just followed programs from this site, mostly the ones designed by CT and have seen results from them. It seems most of them are always using super sets but sometimes the 2nd exercise hits the same muscles in the first, an antagonistic muscle group or an unrelated muscle group.

I want to eventually stop using pre-packaged programs.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
How do you guys go about pairing exercises together for super sets? I’ve pretty much just followed programs from this site, mostly the ones designed by CT and have seen results from them. It seems most of them are always using super sets but sometimes the 2nd exercise hits the same muscles in the first, an antagonistic muscle group or an unrelated muscle group.

I want to eventually stop using pre-packaged programs.[/quote]

Generally supersetting hits the antagonist muscle group. If you are bench pressing, it’s not a bad idea to superset with bent over rows. If you are doing overhead presses, throw lat pull downs in there.

Tiring the antagonist muscle group will allow you to lift better/more on your main lift. The fatigued muscle worked during a superset can no longer interfere or inhibit the core lift that you are focusing on. (via Reciprocal Inhibition)

Don’t be afraid to use programs like 5x5, 5-3-1, Westside for Skinny Bastards, etc… These are tried and tested and designed by much more experienced lifters/coaches than you or I.

If you just prefer to know that you have made your own custom workout, go for it. I recommend having back, chest, hamstring, abdominal, and quad exercises for sure. Calves and forearms are more sport specific.

One website other than this one that can help develop your own plan for exercises is exrx.net

[quote]goose27 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I want to eventually stop using pre-packaged programs.[/quote]

Generally supersetting hits the antagonist muscle group. If you are bench pressing, it’s not a bad idea to superset with bent over rows. If you are doing overhead presses, throw lat pull downs in there.

Tiring the antagonist muscle group will allow you to lift better/more on your main lift. The fatigued muscle worked during a superset can no longer interfere or inhibit the core lift that you are focusing on. (via Reciprocal Inhibition)

Don’t be afraid to use programs like 5x5, 5-3-1, Westside for Skinny Bastards, etc… These are tried and tested and designed by much more experienced lifters/coaches than you or I.

If you just prefer to know that you have made your own custom workout, go for it. I recommend having back, chest, hamstring, abdominal, and quad exercises for sure. Calves and forearms are more sport specific.

One website other than this one that can help develop your own plan for exercises is exrx.net[/quote]

This post tells half the story. Theres no chance the general definition of a super set is just for antagonistic muscle groups.

There are many many ways to super set. “Super-set” just desribes an intensity method. It can be for the same muscle or synergistic muscles or antagonistic muscles. They are all valid and have their place. One exercise followed by another with minimal rest.

Supersetting tends to be used in specific situations. People strapped for time. People looking to add volume at the end of a workout to get a lot of blood to the target area. Super sets dont need to be and should not be done all the time.

How a super set is implemented is based on the routine. I super set face pulls with some form of a bicep curl at the end of my back workout. I do this to save time. If the face pulls interfered with my ability to curl I wouldnt super set them. I also superset tricep push downs and overhead cable extensions before I start heavy CGP. This is simply to warm up.

well working each body part a seprate day is good as long as you are not working only one body part 5-6 days a week

[quote]goose27 wrote:

[/quote]

Bench press supersetted with BB rows…BAD idea in my opinion, if you’re using any kind of appreciable weight on them.

As a rule of thumb, I believe supersetting should be reserved for “less compound” lifts. Unless, of course, the point is circuit training, or you’re severely limited on time.

OH press with Lat pulldowns is much more reasonable.

[quote]WTB wrote:
well working each body part a seprate day is good as long as you are not working only one body part 5-6 days a week[/quote]

You just made a thread asking how often you should work out. Stop posting with the intent of offering advice. Youve been training for 6 months. Just stop it.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]WTB wrote:
well working each body part a seprate day is good as long as you are not working only one body part 5-6 days a week[/quote]

You just made a thread asking how often you should work out. Stop posting with the intent of offering advice. Youve been training for 6 months. Just stop it. [/quote]
dont remember talking to you

[quote]WTB wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]WTB wrote:

You just made a thread asking how often you should work out. Stop posting with the intent of offering advice. Youve been training for 6 months. Just stop it. [/quote]
dont remember talking to you[/quote]

I’d be careful, you come in here asking for advice you better know who’s going to be the one giving it to you.
Its nice you want to be helpful, but really - you JUST made a thread on this issue, and now you’re trying to give advice on something you previously claimed to have no knowledge about?

[quote]WTB wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]WTB wrote:

Nice pink hat. You trying to compete with justin beiber?

Just pick a program off this site.
Month 1-3 do it exactly.
Month 3-6 you’re allowed to tweak it

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]WTB wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]WTB wrote:

man shut yo grim reaper lookin ass p its red the comp made it look like its pink dumass

Nice pink hat. You trying to compete with justin beiber? [/quote]

[quote]WTB wrote:

man shut yo grim reaper lookin ass p its red the comp made it look like its pink dumass

[/quote]

That’s “MR. Grim Reaper” to you

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]WTB wrote:

[/quote]

That’s “MR. Grim Reaper” to you[/quote]
iight man im done we cool?

i cant imagine doing any serious training the day after i deadlift