T Nation

5-531 Help Please!

Jim, firstly thanks for everything you do on here and elsewhere it is much appreciated. I have rest my TM to 85% and intend following the cycle progression outlined in the passing the Lifting Torch article with an additional cycle of the 5-531, so:

Cycles 1&2 5-531
cycle 3 5s pro 5x5 fsl
cycle 4 5s pro 5x5 fsl lower body lifts, 5s pro 50 reps fsl upper body lifts
cycle 5 531 Pr/goal set on last set and first set

My question (for Jim and any one else) is for cycles 1&2 would the following lifting template be ok/suitable? And if not what changes would you make?

Monday

• Squat - FSL
• Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps at top weight
• Db Rows – 30-50 reps
• Push-ups – 50-100 reps

Wednesday

• Deadlift - 5 sets of 5 reps at top weight
• Press - 5 sets of 5 reps at top weight
• Fat man Rows - 30-50 reps
• Curls – 30 reps

Friday

• Squat – 5 sets of 5 reps at top weight
• DB Press – 30-50 reps
• Db Rows - 30-50 reps
• Shrugs – 30-50 reps

Pull-Ups between Main lifts (50 reps)
Band Pullaparts , sit-ups/planks Everyday or Training session supersetted with last exercise.

mobility and, light conditioning (weight vest walks etc) everyday

Thanks, and any suggestions will be implemented no questions asked.

Jesus - someone got it right. I'd do a few things differently but this makes me proud.

Eventually you'll get to the point where you'll realize you only need TWO templates in five cycles. You are trying too hard to think too hard - the statement is just as complicated as doing four templates in five cycles.

But you pretty much got it. The one thing that you should do is address the assistance: I just wrote an article about this on the forum (yesterday). You should have a "Basic Assistance Package" that you keep and then when volume/intensity go up, you can easily adjust to fit the needs of the current program.

Make sure you keep up with the "mobility/light conditioning". Recovery is as important as training.

I probably answered 30 questions today (Saturday) and I wanted to rip my dick off in frustration. Thank you for this.