T Nation

5.4 On 40 Yard Dash

Is this good or bad? Everyone I asked say its “alright” but I have a strong feeling they are just being nice.

[quote]semper_fi wrote:
Is this good or bad? Everyone I asked say its “alright” but I have a strong feeling they are just being nice. [/quote]

Well, I guess it’s all relative. Is it a PB for you? If so, then great. I mean, if you’re comparing it to skill players in the NFL that are running 4.4-4.3, then 5.4 isn’t that great. Have you been training for speed? What is your height, weight, etc… I ask this because you can almost surely drop your time below 5 seconds with some solid acceleration work, plyos, and technique on the start.

its not fast, but I’ve seen slower. I don’t consider myself fast and I ran a 4.92 in college at 295 and played offensive line. I saw guys on the oline run everything from a 4.62 to a 5.9. It depends on your goals. The fastest ol’s were playing tackle and the slower ones played guard. What I’m trying to say is that it depends on what you are trying to do.

I ran a 4.9 in college as an outside linebacker, weighed between 230-245. I wasn’t considered fast.

[quote]WRCortese5 wrote:
semper_fi wrote:
Is this good or bad? Everyone I asked say its “alright” but I have a strong feeling they are just being nice.

Well, I guess it’s all relative. Is it a PB for you? If so, then great. I mean, if you’re comparing it to skill players in the NFL that are running 4.4-4.3, then 5.4 isn’t that great. Have you been training for speed? What is your height, weight, etc… I ask this because you can almost surely drop your time below 5 seconds with some solid acceleration work, plyos, and technique on the start.

[/quote]

I’m a sad sad case. 5’11" at 135 lbs. My teamates often ask why I’m so slow if I’m so light, it’s because my legs are weak as hell. This is my first year lifting and my first year playing football. I haven’t really been much emphasis on speed until recently.

I had a guy pretty much your exact size on my college football team who ran a low 4.3.

Anyway you look at it, that time is pretty bad. Fortunately you have a ton of room to improve. Don’t get discouraged. With practice and good training I bet you can get under 5 seconds in no time.

[quote]semper_fi wrote:
Is this good or bad? Everyone I asked say its “alright” but I have a strong feeling they are just being nice. [/quote]

I was around there and figured out that I just had slow feet. After being at 5.5 for YEARS and sprinting regularly with no change, I dropped to 5.07 in 1 month of overspeed training.

Although at your size it is more likely that you are relatively weak like you said.

If I remember from the “Caught looking…” thread correctly, you’re pretty young aren’t you? At least you have time…

Best advice I can give, though it will sound like a broken record, is to squat, squat, squat and heavy if you want to improve your sprint times.

One of my favorite anecdotes related to this is from “Romo” (Bill Romanowski’s autobiography). He talks about when he first started working with Remy Korchemny on speed work and Remy asked him if he was squatting.

Romo (to my surprise) said he wasn’t and was only doing leg presses for lower body work.So Remy tells Romo to start squatting and after awhile, excited with his progress, Romo comes back to Remy and tells him he can squat 400. Remy answers, “Good. Now you can squat as much as my women sprinters.”

Granted most of Korchemny’s athletes were juiced to the gills - he was one of the guys taken down with the BALCO bust - but I think there’s something to be learned there, nonetheless.

[quote]CC wrote:
Granted most of Korchemny’s athletes were juiced to the gills - he was one of the guys taken down with the BALCO bust - but I think there’s something to be learned there, nonetheless.[/quote]

Lesson?

[center]Just remember, somewhere, a little Chinese girl is warming up with your max.
-Jim Conroy, Olympic weightlifting coach.[/center]

You probably just haven’t grown into your body yet if you know what I mean. All you can do is keep working at it. And maybe pay more attention in math class since the whole pro athlete thing might not work out :wink: